1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker Refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by terryfunk4life, Oct 4, 2009.

1. terryfunk4life

terryfunk4life

Nov 26, 2007
    Ok A few weeks ago I got a used 4003fl jetglow. The finish is in very bad shape. Lots of chips and dings.I thought It would be cool to sand off the old finish, stain it (because I am pretty sure the wood underneath wont be too exciting) and apply a satin sealer-only finish like the c64s basses.

Is this a decent plan? The only problem I can see is the binding. I have no idea how that would work out.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Depending on how bad the nicks and scratches are, it could be salvaged. It would likely be a lot of work but no more work than you're already planning.

And personally, I've seen a few of those "stained" Rics. I haven't once seen a good looking one.

I'd vote against that.

If you're going to redo it, just pick another color or put a custom paint job on it.

3. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    ... and make sure you post before and after pics!!!

4. Please post pics of it now. This will help us visualize how much salvage work would need to be done.

Seriously. If it's just a lot of nicks and scratches, it can be fixed to look almost as if it were new.

I do this to my JetGlo all the time when I nick it. After I'm done, it looks mint.

Which reminds me, I need to go through and redo a few scratches I've done.

If you want, I can do some before / after pics but it may be a week or two before I even do that.

5. 2lim

2lim

Feb 25, 2007
    I am just gonna throw out the one big issue. The finish on a ric extends right over the FB if I have heard right. If you sand it down, you are gonna have to draw a line somewhere that you stop sanding, as you can't sand down the fretboard too, without pulling the frets.

If it is that bad, I would say fill and sand the dings, then paint the whole thing a solid colour.

Simon

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I build and modify basses
    Here is an oil finished 4003s5 that I used to own ... I rounded the edges slightly and gave it 2 or 3 coats of tung oil and mineral spirits mixed together. Then I applied paste wax. It is very comfortable to play and has a nice woody tone.

4003s5-21.

4003s5-20.

4003s5-15.

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I'd go with limegreen, sonic blue or yellow!!!