1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker Restoration

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nuematsu, Jun 28, 2012.

1. nuematsu

nuematsu

Mar 26, 2012
    Hello everyone. I recently found a Rickenbacker for 20 dollars at a rummage sale.

Jj7aF.

My main question is should I try to restore it myself or take it to a professional. I am fairly sure it is a 4001.

2. diskovolos

diskovolos

Jun 9, 2012
    Greece
    that's one hell of a bargain !

3. 20 bucks? holy hell thats a deal. Does it work? as for restoring it that depends on your capabilities.You maybe able to get down to the original finish if the original finish is still in place under that refin.

4. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I'd take it to a pro. It's not as if you've spent hundreds of dollars already.

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Even if its a copy...$20??? That is the steal of the century!

6. nuematsu

nuematsu

Mar 26, 2012
    The paint that is on it is pretty lousy. I could probably do it myself I just don't want to ruin it >.<

I am pretty sure it is not a copy. If it is I could care less because it plays great and works pretty well.

I actually like the way they painted the headstock.

VpYAA.

7. If it turns out to be a real one(no reason it can't be), save your money and send it to a pro.

As a matter of fact, sign up on rickresource.com, and ask for advice on who to send it to. You could be playing a like-new Ric for half the price or much less.:cool:

8. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    There are guys like Paul Wilczynski who do work FOR Rickenbacker and can take that thing and make it look like it just came off the line. If that's what you're looking for, I'd make that call. You could end up with something you could re-sell later for 100 times the initial investment.

9. nuematsu

nuematsu

Mar 26, 2012
    Ill definitely head over there. I may take it to a local luthier tomorrow and see how much he would do it for.

10. Yes!

I 2nd Atomicpunk's post. A bone-fide Ric guy, refinishing your bass.

11. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    TWENTY DOLLARS?????

I'm speechless

12. ukulelelele

ukulelelele

Jun 6, 2012
    You lucky bastard! (No offense)

13. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    How i wish i could find a Rickenbacker for 20 bucks...

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If you are not familiar with the Ric 4001, DO NOT TOUCH THE TRUSS ROD NUTS. They work differently than conventional rods, you risk cracking the neck. Visit Joey's Bass Notes to get a full tutorial.

While Paul Wilczynski is THE top guy for Ric restorations, I read that he has a 1~2 year backlog, and it may cost a couple grand.

On Ya, Congrats!!

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Unless you're highly experienced in refinishing instruments, NEVER take on a job like this by yourself. Take it to a pro.

$20 for that is a steal.

16. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    am i the only one to advise: have it professionally set up, refurbish its functionality (if needed) and play it as is?

i guess so. congrats on the find!

17. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    If you're looking for a correct restoration, keep in mind that Rics did not have the typical nitro/poly finish.

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Were this mine, I'd refinish it in a non-factory color. Won't matter value-wise, either way in the end it'll still be a refin.

19. If your going for profit it may sound suprising but you would probably make more money selling it as is rather then fixing it up and reselling it.

Id refin it ocean turq.

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1 on both!