1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RICKENFAKER ALERT! To Report or Not to Report?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Oct 17, 2010.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Hey, check out this Fake Ric, that looks really close to the real deal (minus the headstock, tuners, and maybe the bridge) except with SD pickups. Should I report it to RIC? Will they even send me a thank you email? I hear that they are nazis about counterfiets, and also that they don't offer very great rewards for people who turn in infringers. (is that even a word?) So, any opinions? anyone...anyone...anyone...Bueler?

2. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Link?

Pic?

Something?

3. A link or pics would help. Are you only entertaining the idea of reporting in hopes that you'll be rewarded in some way?

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Since you said different headstock, and SD's, am I right in thinking you mean the Shine?

EDIT: If you do, there's nothing Ric can do as long as they don't import them into the US.

5. Why report it to Rickenbacker? Let them do their own work

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They have a team of lawyers hunting that stuff down already. If it's being sold in the US, they've done what they can. If it's being sold outside the US, there's nothing they can do.

Plus, unless it actually has "Rickenbacker" written on it, or the seller is claiming it's a real Ric, then there's nothing to report. It's not a Ric and not sold as a Ric. Plus, lots of us happen to like the Ibanez and Electra clones of the Ric better than the real thing.

7. don't repeort it to ric....send one to me!

8. No kidding let rick cover there own asses.

9. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    I agree with you all of course. RIC is like a bulldozer to the people who want to copy their bass. Oh, and yes, the Shine.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I think if you're looking for a pat on the back, or some other kind of "reward" , you are most likely barking up the wrong tree..

EDIT TO ADD: I see you're talking about the Shine. Are these even imported into the U.S.?

If not, then then there isn't anything Ric could do about it.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    No they do not offer rewards.

Why do people get upset about Ric copies?

Nobody gets bent out of shape when sx copies p-basses and jazz basses.

12. Or anyone of the many Boutique builders that blatantly copy Fenders.

13. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area

The difference is that Fender has not successfully protected their designs and as such they are now (for all intents and purposes) public domain designs. Rickenbacker has done a better job so their designs are still protected.

That's the key thing. Even if you don't want to go after a small copier, you kind of have to if you are a big company because once too many people have knocked you off without challenge, you lose the protection, just like Fender did.

Yeah I actually know what I'm talking about on this one. I don't work in music but I deal with this same issue every day with my work.

14. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Oh dear. Here we go again....:hyper:

15. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Not really sure what the here is that's about to go again but... I guess I'll find out! popcorn.gif

16. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Yeah, I don't need a reward, but I don't think I'll report it either way, seeing as I might not even have a valid point. Ric can't touch this one.

17. asberrys

asberrys

Sep 7, 2009
    So this makes it ethical to do Fender knock-offs but not Rickenbacker?

18. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Ethics is not legality although the two influence each other. Fender copies may or may not be ethical, but they are legal. Rickenbacker copies may or may not be ethical, but they are illegal. That is the situation.

19. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    This.

Fender lost it's intellectual property because they made no effort to protect it for years. Rickenbacker didn't make this mistake and for that they get called Nazis. Whatever. If they see copyright violations - they'll take action within law and reason. That's their job, not yours, but a nice gesture on your behalf.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Hmmm ... Rickenbacker won't let anybody copy their design. Fender does. A young player can't afford a real Ric and can't find a Ric copy, so he gets a fender copy and later on moves up to a real Fender because of brand loyality he developed by owning the entry level copy. The result Fender is makes more profit than Rickenbacker.

So who benefits from Rickenbacker shutting down copies?