Ridiculous NBD- What do I do with a 6 string????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Walking through GC today and saw this 6er. Felt pretty good. Tagged at $179. I made a ridiculous offer and they took it. The sales guy said it came with a bag, so he brings out this Gator bag but I have no idea which model this is (the bag is heavy!).

Action is low, no buzz. Fret ends are round and smooth. Strings are old and electronics aren't the best. But it plays easily. Again, the deal was ridiculous.

So what do I do with a six string now that I have one?????

Gio_6_1412.jpg

Kitsapbass, Slinger, jfh2112 and 19 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :bassist:drool

dabbler, onosson and zon6c-f like this.
  3. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Play Jazz or anything Prog. :smug:

Cool bass. I try to play across the fretboard and learn "economy of motion."

gebass6, Kitsapbass, wmmj and 7 others like this.
  4. Which Gator model is the bag? They seem to have changed their designs. This is obviously an older model. Heavy, padded with neck cradle and lots of pockets. Heavier than the bass, I think :0 .

5. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Play anything you already play, if that is your favorite sounding and favorite feeling bass, then that’s it.

6. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

WHY CAN'T I GET DEALS LIKE THIS!!!???

7. Play the heck out of it, that’s what you do. I got a deal last year on an early 90’s Ibanez 6’er because someone who shouldn’t have been playing with daddy’s craftsman’s was “working” on it. Fortunately nothing irreparable. I adapted to it pretty easily.

Kitsapbass, retslock and NetRngr like this.
  8. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    Nice deal! Very cool. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind scoring a deal like that! :D

9. Just weighed it... Only 8 pounds 1 ounce! I've been playing it this afternoon since I got it home. Did a little touch-up work on the boo-boos (just like the SR505's get). I'm having far less trouble adapting to the 6 than I had going from 4 to 5.

The string spacing is kind of narrow, so plucking is a bit more of a challenge, particularly when I want to pluck on the G string and have to negotiate between it and the C string. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

In the meantime it needs strings, but I'm going to wait a bit. I'll practice with it, but have so many better basses to gig with.

Matthew_84 and Burwabit like this.
  10. Take both outer strings off it and turn it into a bass.:laugh:

11. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Spacing looks wider than on the 24-fret models.

One thing you will probably find right away, is expanded chord voicing. That classic Root + 3rd voicing has a ton more possibilities with the high C string. I use voicings with 7ths a lot also, on 6-string.

Even if you don't use one for performance, you might find a basic looper to be tons of fun in learning the fretboard on these.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"ridiculous" can be good! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nice bass, Ibanez makes em’ right, except for that crap finish. It can be sanded off pretty easily and just go with Tru Oil if you can be bothered to refinish. Might be best as a pick bass, I have little toothpick fingers, so I’d probably like it, but that bass is not built for the ham-fisted.

14. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Jeez, when the toolbag at GC accepted your offer you could've said you were kidding ;-) But hey the Gator is probably a $60 bag all day long so nice grab. Rock on.

zon6c-f and Aqualung60 like this.
  15. Yay!!!

16. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Play with it occasionally for a month or two and then sell it. That's what I did with my 6 string, at least. The high C string was a complete waste of neck width for me.

17. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Lol @ above. Same here. Maybe 4 months... and mine was a fretless 6.

Fun time but I realized I need to be practicing with the basses I actually gig and record with.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  18. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    practice all your 2 octave arpeggios without having to change position
    learn your chords with extensions beyond the 7

gebass6, retslock, zon6c-f and 2 others like this.
  19. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Congrats, you are a six string owner. If you want to be a six string player, the other basses need to go into hiding, and then it’s all six string, all the time.

Otherwise, the novelty will wear off and it’ll go into the closet or up for sale.

Takes a while to rewire the brain and get all the new muting habits it place. Meanwhile, grab a Gruv Gear fret wrap to help keep things from ringing.

The fun starts with a looper and drum machine. Bass parts, chord rhythm parts and melody over the top.

Great deal on the bass and bag!

20. What to do?, take the B and C strings off ;).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021