Ridiculous NBD- What do I do with a 6 string????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, Jul 27, 2018.

1. I know that I would have wanted to explore 6 string and through that day would be some time in the future. Never thought that it would be this soon! As a rule I would have been looking for a "better" bass and generally would turn my nose up at a Gio level bass. But this one, electronics aside, seems to be on a different quality level. I've played SR505's at the $650 price level that (again, electronics aside) this bass quality might be comparable with. Usually I'd expect sharp fret ends, unlevel frets, high action. But no. This one has no setup or playing issues. I did come with the traditional body scrapes that you see on the 505's. But my dad had a furniture store and I'm no stranger to touching up furniture and this is no different. Below is a pic of the major boo-boo. I've already got it partially camouflaged it with Old English scratch cover. I'll keep working it until you can barely see it and perhaps go over it with paste wax to even out the surface finish. Not sure yet. The (new) SR505 they had hanging in the store was in much worse shape!

IMG_1410.JPG IMG_7936.JPG

2. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
  3. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Cow Hampshire
    Play chords. Lots of chords. You will pi$$ off your guitarist which can sometimes be a good thing and always entertaining.

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Just listen to square pusher
    And get a ring mod

Mr_Moo likes this.
  5. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Go surfing?

6. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    This ought to keep you busy for a while.

7. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I'd restring it to E A D G B C that way I could play it normally and still have those extra notes when I need them but they would be out of my way the rest of the time. Prolly gonna have to do some work on the nut to fit that fat B string in the G position though. But that's just me...

8. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Hey man, I think this dude would beg to differ. He ( @BassCliff ) seems to do alright with one...

upload_2018-7-27_16-21-28.png

9. Cut two off, then you’d have a real bass...lol. Seriously, some of the stuff guys are getting out of these is simply amazing. Just such great art. Yup tube it, and get some lessons.

BTW, great score. Congrats!

10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Take all the strings off and rent it to the Navy as an aircraft carrier.

No idea how you guys deal with those extended range fretboards. Too big for me.

eJake likes this.
  11. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Woos :)

12. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Play 50% more notes than you do on a 4 string.

13. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    cool ....the two-thumb rester model ;)

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I've found that I don't have to change positions up and down the neck nearly as often with a six string. It's easier to play in all kinds of oddball keys and keep familiar patterns under my fingers. It's cool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

15. What a great first thing to work on. Thanks for the idea! I haven't played cello since college string methods class. I don't know why it didn't hit me that the tuning the 4 upper strings on a 6er are generally tuned the same as a cello.

Music for Bach Suite No.1 for Unaccompanied Cello BWV 1007 is already printed out. Thanks again!

16. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I'd look for crazy deals on pickups for it and make it something unique in your options.

17. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I had that I would play stupid jazz solos along to IRealPro.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Ridiculous NBD- What do I do with a 6 string????

PLAY IT

gebass6 and retslock like this.
  19. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I picked up a six last year after wanting one for over 20 years. The adjustment for me wasn't nearly as big, as I play primarily five string. You need to sit and play with it, and see the new options you have available. Chord voicings, cool tapping stuff, higher octave melody staff, being able to play scales and arpeggios that NEVER SEEM TO END. And then, and I can't stress this enough, just spend some time playing the exact same bass lines you'd play on a four, just to get used to the new geometry.

I primarily use my six for songs in my progressive metal band where the guitars are tuned in D standard, but the D dropped an additional step to C. Writing for some of those on six was a huge amount of fun, as since the guitars are tuned pretty low, I wind up doing a fair amount of melodic lines intermixed with the standard bass stuff.

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    It is simply a bass. So play !

gebass6 and retslock like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021