Ridiculous NBD- What do I do with a 6 string????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, Jul 27, 2018.

1. My fear with swapping out the systems is that I'd have to drill another hole for the extra pot. And if I don't like it I can't go backwards. The new preamp comes with master volume, blender pot, and bass/mid/treble pots (5 in all). The Ibanez comes with two volumes, master tone and a bass boost. I'll probably play with it stock for awhile. I won't mod it for at lest the 45 day return period.

I like DR Pure Blues. I've got them on my Fender Jazz 5er and had them on my BTB and Yamaha 605. The BTB and 605 now have D'Addario NYXL's and I think I like those better on those basses. But the NYXL's are a little pricey so when I change I'll probably do the Pure Blues for this bass.

2. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Left over holes are easily filled with a unconnected pot, capped by a mismatched knob. It’s called a “producer control”. And it works like voodoo.

3. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    I have a couple of Ibanez basses and they compare favorably to my much more expensive ones.

retslock likes this.
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    What to do with a "free" nifty 6 string bass? Answer is easy. Play the daylights out of it and learn how 5 and 6 string basses work. I never quite got what a 5er was all about until I got a 6 string. It is NOT about a 4 string bass with a few added notes. (although the added notes are indeed there) Playing a 6 string FORCES you to learn to deal with all the issues of ERB playing. These include learning to play the wide necks (thumb on back) dealing with damping strings (floating thumb) and of course appreciating the joy of compact patterns across the neck and not having to shoot up and down it. You can play a 5 like a 4 with a few low notes, but a 6 string really makes you deal with these things properly. Once you "get it" then you notice that 5 and 6 string basses are essentially the same thing except that a 6 string has an extended upper range which is excellent for chords, double stops, and stratospheric solos. So if I"m in a musical situation where everyone in the band is getting pointed to for a solo then a 6 string is the answer. If it's straight groove then hey, a 5er gives you all the ease of patterns and transpositions if you don't need the solos. Some cool basses (like my G&L L2500) don't come in 6 string anyway.

Your "deal" 6 string is a great luck-out being nearly free "lessons" in what 5 and 6 string ERB playing is all about.
    Enjoy!

Here's a freebie to get started: https://www.mrk-inc.com/Docs/bspam2/NString.pdf

gebass6 and retslock like this.
  5. Is going passive out of the question?

6. Exactly! Who’s gonna tell Anthony Jackson to get a real bass, he’s got it all wrong.

7. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    I saw the bassist of Cephalic Carnage took all 5 of the strings he used, knocked out the bottom tuning peg and played with them "up". I find with low strings you can't really dig in too heavy without the string slapping back against the bottom of the fretboard, so there ya go.

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Technique. It's a bear sometimes.

9. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    action, too.

10. I think I'd have to agree. This particular bass has similar qualities to my Yamaha 605, except the body wood, like the SR505 is extremely prone to scratching to bare wood. The neck is as good as anything I own or played. In fact, it feels a bit more refined than my Ibanez BTB675 which is a $900 bass. It's not the beefiest sounding bass I own, but can do the job. Seems to have been a great find.

What is "ERB" playing?

I think you're right. I already play with thumb on the back (most of the time) and floating thumb. Those things came naturally as I do a fair amount of fingerstyle guitar and never learned to anchor my right thumb and left thumb has to accommodate left hand gymnastics.

I had some initial difficulty going from 4 to 5, but 6 (as you say) is more related to 5 than 5 is to 4 (why is that????). There was one guy that was arguing with me that most bass players orient from the higher strings (G on a 5er). I argued that for most players this wasn't the case. I think this proves my position. Other than some string spacing (16.5mm) adaptation it is much easier to just pick it up and play it. Of course I have to learn the notes on the C string so it becomes a subconscious effort as to where the notes are, but from a feel standpoint it really isn't much different. I think if I had to I could gig this bass today with few issues. The first time I held a 5 on a gig I made so many mistakes it was embarrassing.

Thanks for the link. It's an interesting perspective. And while I already knew much of what was in it, it provided a few additional nuggets. Great for beginners and intermediates.

There really isn't a point in going passive. I wouldn't gain anything. I've learned more about the controls and boiling the strings really helped the sound. While not new, the refreshed strings gave me a better picture of the sound, and I was pretty surprised at the amount of improvement. While I know there are much better pre-amp systems, this one isn't as bad as I initially thought. It wasn't the preamp that was the problem, it was mostly the strings!

retslock and bholder like this.
  11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    ERB = Extended Range Bass. Usually reserved for 6s and up, but 5s qualify too I guess. But it's really the extended top range that lends itself to the techniques involved (hand movement across the board rather than up and down, chords and arpeggios, etc.).

gebass6 likes this.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    ERB = Extended Range Bass.

On a 4 string if you are plucking with 2 fingers one string is plucked while the other finger can be on another string minimizing damping problems. For five strings it's common to use B string as thumbrest and this tends to work. But once you move to a 6 or more now there are too many strings for your fingers. so the deal is to lay your thumb across several strings for damping. The practice comes in where you need to move your thumb back and forth picking strings to be muted. Obviously you've already figured this out because you weren't anchoring your thumb.

I don't really remember how I oriented when I played 4 strings only, but I do know that now I'm like you and orient from the B string. So that to me 5 , 6 and 7 strings are basically all the same sort of thing the only problem is (like you) just a matter of learning the notes on the extra strings (for me especially on my 7 string) that need some woodshed time to figure out what to do with them. I once did try a 7 string with a low F# string for a while. I was not impressed and decided that low string was nothing that interested me.

gebass6 likes this.
  13. Yeah... Similarly a Bosendorfer piano with an extended bass range, the low notes stop sounding like distinct pitches at some point.

bholder likes this.
  14. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    You could also get a fretwrap or a nordymute.

Nordstrand_Audio_NordyMute_walnut_maple_800x.jpg

15. Already have fretwraps in multiple sizes. You can buy a set of 3 for around $5 direct from China on Ebay.

16. And string gauge.

BigBasserino likes this.
  17. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Felt more than heard down that far...

18. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Your thought it not so strange. It makes sense. I also tune BEADF#B. It makes it much easier for me and you have even more chordal possibilities and open strings that you can use. I had this topic a few months ago: Tuning six string bass BEADF#B (like guitar)

19. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Stop in to: Official TUNE Club
    Ned is a member of TB
    @VSN_Guitars

gebass6 likes this.
  20. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

B-Mac likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021