Ridiculous NBD- What do I do with a 6 string????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, Jul 27, 2018.

1. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    String it EADGCF and play the crap out of it.

Seriously, though, I've often considered a 6-string for other things than Rock. I've been looking around to play as a sidegirl to maybe an intimate Americana -type performer. My fretless 4 will do for now, but everytime I see a Warwick Streamer LX or Corvette 6, the little brain gears start turning in my head.

4B49A639-7110-43AF-A2DF-C47B647A33C8.jpeg

2. I started out on guitar and still play a fair bit so I’d be tempted to tune with the two highest strings as F# and B so I could play all the chord shapes I’m used to. Who knows what that would bring out. It might be too weird playing an E chord where I would normally play an A but I’ve never owned a 6 so that’s just my crazy idea. Has anybody ever done that?

Les Fret likes this.
  3. Just over a year ago I bought an SR655 in that stupid “Antique” finish - you can’t buy the raw finish in Australia??? I was always gonna strip it and oil it as soon as the warranty expired. I’ve just finished and I like it a whole lot more now. It wasn’t so hard and your bass would look a lot better oiled.

4. I recommend learning Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal.

Great score :D

bholder likes this.
  5. You search for Anthony Jackson on YT, and then you spend the next five years practicing.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Honestly, the Bach cello prelude would be a lot easier to start on. :D

Arthur U. Poon and Microbass like this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I like the upper range for tapping and chords.
    Snapshot_20180427.JPG Snapshot_20180501_2.JPG

20180527_182319-jpg.jpg

And being able to reach two octaves up without reaching five frets up the fingerboard.
    I am able to do this..... 5463542-7db8abeb3aca51b2d68648ce405bb930.jpg
    Instead of doing this... 5463541-c2bc6e2f1dabbd846759f2f1e9faf840.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    gebass6 and 40Hz like this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Seems like a pretty sweet deal. If it plays well, then the less than great electronics it has isn’t an issue. Put an inexpensive but good sounding 4-band Audere preamp and a new set of strings on it and you’re ready for anything.

Call yourself a lucky guy - assuming you can get comfortable playing a sixer. ;)

Play it well! :thumbsup::)

retslock likes this.
  10. Algo

Algo

Dec 3, 2008
    Santiago, Chile
    Ah well, now I gotta find a way to get back my b206sm I traded, or something less thin and trebly.

I wouldn't generally get a GIO but that specific new model I found was an improvement to the old ones so good deal

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yeah. I’m thinking me too.

I already do so much with alternate tunings to get certain voicings that my guitarist GF finally asked me why I don’t just get a seven or eight string guitar and a six string bass, tune them both once, and be done with it.

I thought about how I might work it. And now I’m thinking she could be right. :thumbsup:

retslock and bholder like this.
  12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

VSN Canada is a good bet.
    A whole lot of them on Ebay and Reverb.
    But bear in mind.
    The prices have shot up!

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I played a bass like that at music go round a few years ago and it had an amazing neck

14. I recently sold off some guitar gear, particularly two Strats and an amp and ended up with more money than I paid for each. Financed a lot of bass gear :). I used to collect used trumpets and financed most of my guitar gear with the profits from the trumpets. You can buy stuff you don't "need" if you know the market and can quickly appraise gear. If you think about it, how much interest do you get on your bank statement? My PROFESSIONAL INVESTMENT ADVISOR is getting me less than 6% a year on my cash. I seem to be doing better than that with gear swaps. While gear isn't an "investment" one can use it as a CURRENCY HEDGE, as the value of any currency is no more solid than jello.

Getting used to a 5er was a bit of a challenge. I've only been playing a 5 since March. I still have finger-farts from time to time, especially when reading and can't look at the fingerboard. But it's gotten a lot better. For some reason the high C isn't as much a stumbling block as the low B was. Some fellow was claiming that most people orient from the high string down. Not this fellow. Adding the high C seems much easier than adding a low B. And yes... I am a fingerstyle guitar player so never anchored my thumb anywhere on bass and have naturally adopted the floating thumb.

Thanks for posting the links. Lots of new stuff to learn.

So here's the thing... I bought a cheap Chinese 3 band pre-amp for a Jaguar that I thought *might* need it. The Jaguar just needed a new pickup, so I fixed that bass up and sold it and still have the preamp, never having used it. For convenience I mounted the pots to an Altoids lid thinking I might create an external preamp, but gave up on the idea. Do you think this 3 band might be a good replacement for the existing preamp? I have an Audere in my Jazz 5er, but an Audere would cost me as much or more than I paid for the bass itself... and I already have the Chinese one. I'd have to drill one more hole to accommodate the extra pot. What do you think?
    IMG_1413.JPG

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  15. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Clean it up and sell it on Craigslist for $200.00 of course.

16. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    You finally got a "real" bass! Time to sell all of those 4 or 5 string so called basses.:D

17. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    If ever there was a bass to play around with mods, this is it. If you can fit a pre into an Altoids lid, you can certainly pull off a preamp transplant.

I’d also suggest the lightest gauge DR Pure Blues six string set. Bassstringsonline.com.

18. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    What do you do with a 6 string? Sell it and buy a 5er. :D

Great score by the way.

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Play it to piss off people who think it has too many strings.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    retslock, gebass6 and bholder like this.
  20. I'm probably going to play it for awhile. Who knows, maybe a 6er is my thing and I'll want a better one?

Thanks for getting me thinking... I don't want to pop for new strings just yet, so I think I'm going to boil these and try to bring some life back...

Ok... So I boiled the strings and OMG... a different bass entirely! I cleaned up the guitar while the strings were off. A ton of spooge came off the fingerboard and I rubbed in a little bore oil to put back the moisture that the Dunlop 01 cleaner took out. Got in the crevasses with Q tip. Aside from a bit more blending the boo-boos on the body this thing is starting to impress me. I never ever expected a "Gio class" bass to be this good. The fret finishing is as good as I've ever had on any guitar or bass. I never expected the fret ends to be round and smooth and flat. Action is about 5/64th's at the 16th fret with very little relief and still no buzz anywhere!

I found that if I back off the neck pickup just a touch it's got plenty of crispness. While it's got a bass boost control I've found very little if any bass boost is needed.

I'm thinking I'm going to be hanging onto this bass for awhile. While I could sell it for a small profit, what could I possibly buy that would be better that wouldn't cost me an additional $500 or more?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021