Ridiculous NBD- What do I do with a 6 string????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vindibona1, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Always liked having a 5 string to go lower.

Never wanted to play a six string because I don't like to compete with the guitars.

The way you described that.........I would have bought it.

Prove me wrong, have fun with it!

2. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Trade it in on a good ol 4 stringer! :D

3. glocke1

glocke1 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

haha..I am stealing that.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Alleva-Coppolo, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    Great idea, I would also like to try that on my new six. Where did you find the music notes?

5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    You fire all the band members and start a solo career... Voilà c'est tout. ;)

plav1959 likes this.
  6. JaketheB

JaketheB

Dec 5, 2015
    Used to have a Ibanez 506 when I was 14/15. Worst purchase as it really slowed down my learning. I'm sure six string bases can be put to good use but only by experienced and proficient.

Though I did learn a good few Primus songs!!

7. idk.

heres how I use mine

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    For me, taking up the 6-string bass has had an ultra-positive impact on my playing, technique, and my overall musicianship.

IMO focus first on your middle 4-strings, and gradually work in your low B and your high C. When you practice alone, practice slowly and think the name of every note you play.

bholder likes this.
  9. Learn chords and improvisation

10. I think it it could be positive as well. It's a funny thing, but I think I'm adapting to the 6er easier than I adapter to 5 string. It's easier to thing 5 string with an extra C at the bottom of the fingerboard than it was to think of a 4 string with an extra B at the top. But yes, I have to think of every note. I've got Bach's Cello thing BMV1007 printed out and working out the fingers. It think that one piece will help me know the layout of the fingerboard better.

For sure. Improv has always been my weakness on every instrument. On trumpet you can put a chart in front of me and if not too technical I'll sight read it at tempo. But never could improvise well to save my life. I'd like to find a good teacher locally who can help me apply modes over chord changes. I think that would be a good start there. Yeah, bass chords are cool, especially if I want to do looped stuff.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  11. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.jpeg
    Saw this today. Made me laugh.

12. Funny. Sometimes it's hard to discern what you "need". The purchase of the 6er was purely spontaneous, but based on the knowledge that a) I could return it in 45 days, and b) I'd never find one that cheap again and there was zero risk I couldn't get my money out of it. In hindsight, I could really use the case and probably sell that bass for $50-$70 or more than than I paid for the two items and keep the case... and the buyer would still get a good deal! Free deluxe case +CA$H isn't a bad deal if I ultimately choose to sell it.

About two months ago I did a similar deal where I bought a Jaguar bass, an Epiphone Dot and deluxe case for $275 as a package. Sold the Epi for $225, the bass for $150 and kept the case. Free case +$100 cash. Not bad for a spontaneous purchase.

Slinger and Omega Monkey like this.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Exactly. Explore new ways to play stuff you already know. Sixes are great basses for lazy bassists.

bass nitro and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Another good example of why you don't have to take a loss when you sell gear.

15. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Awesome! I would of bought it too. In fact in the last couple of years bought 5 basses, 4 amps and 3 acoustic guitars. That's why the tree hugger's post it note 'don't buy what you don't need' made me laugh. Do we need this stuff haha???

Kitsapbass likes this.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I definitely wouldn't buy that tree.

plav1959 likes this.
  17. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    PLAY THE SNOT OUT OF IT!!!!

I'm gasing for a Squier Bass VI, and if I had one I would plug into a distortion pedal and seriously abuse my already beat up Peavey Black Widow 15" speaker with some guitar riffs.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Funny you say this. I also had major difficulty getting accustomed to having a low-B string when I bought my first 5-string in the early 90s. I ended up selling the bass out of frustration. I bought a different 5-string in the early 2000's; same thing. I just couldn't get the hang of that low B-string. I sold that bass too.

A few years later, I had a 6-string built, with the intention of learning to play it at home. My then-bandmates encouraged me to bring it to gigs. And I punished them with a zillion wrong notes for the first few weeks, but it got better over time. That's where I "learned" to play primarily it's E, A, D, and G strings, and slowly introduced notes from the B and C strings.

I eventually went to playing my 6-string as my primary instrument for better than a year. I stumbled onto a killer deal on a 5-string and bought it. This time, the low B-string was no longer a mystery.

I'll never say the 4-string is obsolete. I've done gigs on my 4-string basses, but honestly I missed having a low B-string every time, but that's just me.

If you're a fingerstyle player, and assuming you aren't already using the "Floating Thumb" technique, you might want to investigate it. I stumbled across it, out of necessity to mute the strings not being played in the moment. It's not hard to learn this technique, and IMO it really helps.

Keep at it!!

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I'm glad Brad brought this up, because I forgot. I sing backups, and I'm not a great singer by any means. By playing a 6-string I can keep my fretting hand "in position" a lot more, which allows me to focus more on my singing.

MD Stingray likes this.
  20. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Precisely what I found when I bought my first six 25+ years ago. The day I bought it I left my 4 at home for my gig that night. I haven't looked back...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021