Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Right-sized rig

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Phil Redman, Oct 31, 2005.

1. I'm putting together my first amplification rig for upright. So far I have a Fishman Full Circle, Fishman Pro Eq Bass, and QSC PLX 1602. I'm a bit stuck on the cabinet choice. My original plan was to get a rig that could handle a wide range of situations, including a noisy medium sized club. I've been looking at Schroeder 1210 and Acme B-2. My question is: will a 2 x 10 type of cab work okay on the smaller gigs? My concern is that I'll have to keep the volume so low that I won't get a full sound out to the rig in a coffee shop type of venue. Does anybody have experience with either of these cabs at low volume?

I'm not especially worried about the size of a 2 x 10 from a schlepping standpoint. Both the Acme and the Schoeder are reasonably portable in my opinion.

I should also mention that my main goal is to be heard clearly by the band and the audience. I'm not necessarily going for a prestine "hi-fi" sound.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been using a schroeder 1210 (with a thunderfunk tfb420) for some time now.
    I find it to be small, relatively light, clean, punchy, plenty of booty. It works very well with both DB and electric, at least for me.
    There are several other doublers I know here who use the 1210, and a couple of guys who use the 1212, which I have not tried.
    If the scrhoeders interest you, call and talk to Jorg. He is very informative in helping pick a cab to suit your needs...

3. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I've got a Schroeder 1210 I use for DB. You've certainly got a lot of amp for a DB rig!!!

I like my 1210 a lot, and haven't used the Acme -- I hear it's more like a PA speaker. The 1210 has (to my ears) a midrange peak that allows it to "cut" through a little. I actually prefer my bass solo through my PA (Yorkville NX550), so I've been thinking about the Acme setup lately.

One other thing I wish I had -- a stand mount hole for my cab. You can get one on the Acme (and probably on the Schroeder if you ask real nice). I'd love to be able to put the speaker up by my ears to hear my intonation (or lack therof) a bit better.

edit: oh, and it works fine for low volume.

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Are you planning on driving your PLX with that Fishman pre? I found mine to have a slightly low output level in relation to what most power amps are looking for. I can get mine to work in a pinch, but wonder if it can adequately push a power amp to drive a power hungry cab like an acme.

5. Yes, that's the plan. I've used the Fishman into the effects return of a couple of different combo amps and was very pleased with the results. I'm leaning toward the Schroeder so maybe that won't be such a problem with the more efficient cabinet.

Phil

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It would be worth checking out the Bergantino cabinets as well. They are very clear and detailed.

7. "I've used the Fishman into the effects return of a couple of different combo amps and was very pleased with the results."

An FX return is usually more sensitive than the input of a power amp. Try it before you buy anything else, but you may need to find some extra gain.

The Acme cabs sound OK but are notoriously low in efficiency - more sensitive speakers can give you the equivalent of 10 x the watts (+10dB). I'm loving my Eden 210XST on EUB - it's the smallest & loudest cab I've owned, with lovely extended lows.