1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ripper Copy Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyleaubu, Mar 12, 2013.

1. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    Ok I got this bass from a friend who was going to throw it away. I didn't know what it was and after some help on here and a little google work, it's a ripper copy. But I really dig the style of it so I'm going to be rebuilding it. Maybe back to stock... Maybe not. That's yet to be determined. But I would love any comments opinions or personal experiences... Here we go.... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363065064.654220. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363065085.820694.

2. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
  3. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    Took the pickguard off today and found what I felt was a rats nest of wires but after a little help from a diagram that Andii Syckz sent me, it's really not all that bad. It will be pretty easy to get wired up back to normal. Now the problem is, finding pups. The originals are shot. Seymour Ducan make a replacement but they are a little spendy for what I'm trying to do... Plus I think I wanna go a little more "custom" with this. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363065573.821315. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363065623.287717.

4. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Glad to have helped. Maybe you could rewound the original pups but that's my opinion. Also, depending on what you would want to be more custom with the pickups, obviously get a new guard. BEst of luck, can't wait to see how this comes alive

5. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    Well right now I'm looking at the EMG-PHZ Passive pickups. Only problem is, I wouldn't know the first thing about wiring them up...

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Looks like a cool project I'm sure someone will come along and help with the wiring this is a great community.

7. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    David from Sgd Lutherie my be of some help. He's helped me a lot with my questions about pickups and wiring.

8. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Do you know for sure that the pickups are shot? Might be worth having a closer look or getting someone to check them out for you. My Ripper sounded GREAT stock, wish I still had it. Speaking of that, before you go too terribly far modding that you might check to see if anyone here (hint me hint) would swap you something for it!

If the wood under that paint is anything like nice I'd urge you to strip it, clear it, and rock it! Those things look great naked.

9. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    I'm no expert by any means... What I do know is the coils would have to be rewrapped and the magnets are busted. And not to shoot ya down but right now I'm really excited about this build and not interested in getting rid of it at this point. As far as the finish goes, I was thinking of stripping it and staining it something like a dark cherry OR what I'm really leaning towards is pairing it a pearl white with a red tortoise shell pickguard and all black hardware.... I think that would look sharp.

10. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    hey Kyle, I think that's a Gibson. the routes, controls and choke all look correct. is it set neck? if it is a Gibson, it's probably been refinished, the black ones came with a rosewood fingerboard.

11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    There's another thread where it was determined that it's a bolt on lawsuit clone. But a good one. ;)

12. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Also the black gibson rippers had ebony fretboards not rosewood.

13. ajcxnejx

ajcxnejx

Mar 12, 2013
    Maybe you could rewound the original pups but that's my opinion. [​IMG]

14. cricman

cricman

Feb 23, 2013
    West of Dallas
    That reminds me of my very first bass; a Ripper clones with the name "Galen" on the headstock, that was in the same font as Gibson. It was maple/maple with black dot markers. I bought it, along with a Bassman 100 head for $250 in a local pawnshop in 1981. I wish that I had both. The bass had a nice bolt on neck but terrible strings, so a set of Rotosounds and a homemade 412 cabinet turned a high school tuba player into a punk rock enthusiast.

I say restore it back to its original glory complete with a Gibson style bridge!

cricman

15. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Cool project!!! :cool:

16. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
  17. kyleaubu

kyleaubu

Mar 5, 2013
    Fallon, NV
    Did some sanding this mornin after work. An hour and a half of hand sanding and this is what I had. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363153698.702218.

So I went to the pawn shop and picked up a $5 palm sander. 5 mins later this is what I had! Best $5 of my life lol ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363153793.552219.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Startin' to look pretty choice.

19. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006