Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ritter swordsteel strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rusty, Jun 1, 2004.

1. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I ran a search and didn't come up with much - is anyone here using the new Ritter swordsteel strings? How do they sound?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jens gave me a set at the namm show but i have yet to try them out. they have a great feel to them, i can tell. the next few weeks i am going to be putting a lot of mileage on the bass that i have them on and i will post some thoughts.

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    He gave you a set? That was nice of him :) Please do let us know how they fare - I'm really wondering whether they're good enough to command that 40 euro pricetag...

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm curious too...do you by any chance know the guage of the outer warp? are they small like say TI's or are they large like SR2000's...

5. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    hey John, have you had time to try Ritter's strings? I have to say I'm really intrigued by those. I'm still searching for the right strings to put on my 7 strings. So far I've tried d'Addario's XL, GHS super steel and now Smith's stanless steel. The last set is the closest to what I'm looking for, but not exactly I want. any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    PL

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ok, john...you've had a couple weeks...whatcha think so far? have they broken in nicely? how's the feeling on the outer wrap/do they feel nice? how do they SOUND? anything like the SR2000's i'm sure you'll be using for comparison? just curious...in light of recent events, though, i can understand if you haven't played in a few days

so what's the scoop, man? :D

7. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I decided I wasn't gonna wait for JT to post a review before I got myself a set... so I dropped Jens an email and he made me a deal that was really hard to turn down.
    I'm expecting the set of strings to arrive this week, and I should be stringing them on sometime mid july. Till then :D

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on, i s'pose i'll be waitin'...or maybe i should give jens a buzz :D

9. If I'm not mistaken, some of you guys (neptoon?) play Dean Markley SR2000s. I'm waiting for a set right now (Will Lee 5-string for my Stingray), so how about telling me what I'm in for while we're waiting? :D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i use the will lee guages on my streamer lx 4, n/t thumb 6 and my zon sonus special 5...they're really great strings...full of character snarl and bite right out of the box, but they break in quite nicely...they don't have that coarse raspy feel on your fingers characteristic of a lot of steel strings out there (like say warwick black labels or rotosounds)...honestly, i think they feel like ernie balls, but they sound better and are tapered except for 'g' strings and higher...i think they intonate better above the 17th fret, if playing up there is your thing...the harmonics really ring clear, as well...and they're really consistent from one set to the next...an all-around really good string...i dig 'em

11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a set on my Modulus 6. They are nice and brite. I like the sound of my D'Addario's. They cost less as well. The Ritters don't suck by any means. Just not my thing. Try some out. What the heck.

12. Phew... :bassist: I've been charged more than enough for the strings, so they better be good ;)

13. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    MY STRINGS HAVE ARRIVED!!!

After much delay (and a lost set :( ) they're finally here!! I'm stringing them on this saturday, so I'll post an initial review then :D

Many thanks to Jens who sent me another set completely f.o.c. when the first one got lost in the mail... perhaps there's a postman who's an avid bassist... :smug:

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jens has sent me a few sets of 7's to try out, i've got them on some of my basses, giving them a whirl. i'll get a review up in a few days, want to let them break in and all, but so far they're pretty cool. :hyper:

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    cool...looking forward to hearing more good stuff...i think i may get a 5 string set to try out...

16. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I just visited Ritter's home page. My thought is that his strings better be good 'cause they are pretty expensive.......

Anyway let us know how it goes :)

17. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Review time!! (btw - it's my first, so be kind ;) )

First up - when you open the nice little box the strings are in, first thing you'll notice is that they aren't individually wrapped. Jens actually has a little note in there to explain why - basically it's because he believes it generates a lot of waste and telling strings apart isn't rocket science.

The strings are gauged at 102-82-62-42 and they all have different tensions to them. That being said, these have to be the most evenly balanced set of strings I have ever played on :) I love how they feel!

Soundwise... they aren't as bright or growly as hi-beams, but they have more depth and character. If you're looking for that clean, grand pianoish sound - these strings are for you :) I lowered my pups by a smidgen and the next thing I knew, my bass was ringing clear as a bell :D Love it. I then raised my pups a bit to see if I could add a little growl to it and I found the resulting sound to be a nice compromise - a nice little growl at the bottoms to tickle your fancy with, and highs that could sing to the heavens :D
    I tried a bit of slapping on them, but I didn't really find them to be the best strings for the job. I'm not much of a slapper anyway, so that's cool with me :)

Ok - now for the con... The windings at the ball of the strings went up pretty high - they were a hair short of resting on the saddles of my bridge. I guess this is because they were made for Ritters, and all Ritters are string through. So if your saddles are pretty low, it might mess with the intonation of your bass.

Conclusion - I love them. All those seeking the hi-fi sound, they deserve to be given a try. You won't regret it :D