Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rob Allen MB-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Apr 1, 2005.

1. has anyone played one of these..i like the looks of it....
    [​IMG]

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Try the "search" function here.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

hmm...the one in the pic looks like it has Rotosound tapes (vs. LaBellas)

Rob musta' found a good set :p :rolleyes:

4. Great basses!

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    EXtremely light, nice sounding fretless. No...make that a GREAT sounding fretless. It didn't "need" all the active tone controls to get a really nice gigging tone. I used it for several piano trio gigs and a couple classic rock gigs. It really was a useable, cutting tone in each case.

Personal issues (my preference you understand!!) with the bass....the sidemarker dots were between the fretlines, not on the fretlines, they were small, and in a dark room, like the piano bar and a couple of other places I play, The fretlines were very "light" colored maple I believe, were very "thin" and the fretline side markers were equally difficult to see, making it next to impossible for me to play it consistently in tune other than on open strings!! I have to see where my fingers are on a fretless....that simple.

Also note that the fretlines on this bass are where you put your finger with the line being as close to centered under your fingertip as possible, whereas I've played other fretlesses where the lines ARE the fret. I kinda liked it better this "new" way. .

So what I'm saying is if you're an experienced fretless player or have the ability and time to learn, the Rob Allen MB2 is absolutely fantastic.

Lkaye

6. no offence...but if we only used the search function....there'd be no threads and this place would die....im just preserving the forum...what a waste of a post :rolleyes:

thanks Lkaye..how would you describe the neck? feel wise

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you used the search function, you'd learn all the things that have been posted about this bass over many years. Then, after reading everything, you could ask meaningful questions about the bass, instead of "has anyone played one?"

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    HTG, I'd say you just got served.

9. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    LEEt

That is a VERY attractive bass though.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Freaking wicked bass. It's the closest thing to an upright as I've seen without actually being an upright or an EUB.

11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    They sound fantastic. Tone really like dead even between an upright and an electic. Great hum to it too.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They are really great high quality instruments. I played one and another like it @ www.basspalace.com a few years ago.I would really like to check one out for a acoustic gig/jam. :bassist:

13. gkintn

gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I bought my new 4 string MB2 from GGuitars about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Lovin' it so far. My first gig with it will be in 2 weeks, and I'll report back how the bass works out.

It doesn't quite have the knocky percussive thump of an upright, but it is in the ballpark. It sounds SO much more woody and earthy than my Fender Precision. I considered and tried a Godin A4, but I'm glad I went with the Rob Allen even at twice the cash.

I bought it to use in a bluegrass band with about 30 gigs this summer (so far) from NYC to TN to CANADA. Time will tell how it fills the shoes of a doghouse. I bet I'll get some weird looks at the festivals with this bass since it's not a standup, though it does "look" somewhat earthy with the pretty wood.

I love the weight, and mine is just over 6lbs. Heck it feels like you are wearing a Gibson SG, only that the Rob Allen is balanced well. I also bought a Sennheiser wireless to go with it, and I'll be using my little GK MB150 amp with an added Peerless dome tweeter. The output of the bass is really hot, however the Sennheiser wireless has an adjustable input pad of up too -30db which works perfectly.

My MB2 has a mahogany body, curly maple top, and birdseye maple neck. Basic $1899 base model with no options. The action was perfect right out of the box, really low and effortless. Attention to detail is quite high overall. The gig bag isn't very fancy, but it will do the job for a while. Yes the fretlines are small, however the scale length is quite standard (for those use to Fenders) at 34". It seems pretty easy to play in tune, more so than I expected as this is my first fretless bass.

My bass is still listed with pics on the G Guitars web page:
    http://www.gguitars.com/ra473.html

FYI there is a 5 string RA on ebay with less than a day to go...

14. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    she is a beaut!! Gasing really badly right now. Can anyone tell me what that chamber in the back is so big? the pcik up he uses is really small and the volume knob is on the bridge. I don't see the point of it.

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    If he uses a Fishman Powerjack or something similar, he would probably have to make the cavity as big as it is. The Powerjack isn't big, but it's quite long (3" or so).

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    VERY VERY comfortable. I don't think it's got 3/4 inch spacing so the neck feel isn't on the "wide" side at all. All'z I remember shape wise was it just felt "right"...The shape fit, there was a flatened ovalish shape to the neck...the strings were tight feeling with the 35 inch scale. The B sounded great.

I can't say enough good things about it and when I can afford to get one that's customized for me, I'm gonna probably get another one.

Lkaye

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The scale is 34". The strings felt tight because they're La Bella strings.

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

19. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Nope, on all but the very early MB-2 5-strings, the scale is 35".

I had one, but I sold it because I really didn't care for the B (though honestly, the only B string I have ever cared for was my Dingwall's). But the rest of the strings played and sounded sublime. Wouldn't mind picking up an MB-2 4-string (which does have a 34" scale) one of these days, though for right now I'm extremely happy with my Rob Allen "Mouse" (which despite the 30" scale -- or perhaps because of it -- manages to nail the upright vibe even better than my old MB-2).

[​IMG]

20. . There are some great sounding fretless and some are reminesenct of a DB but ultimately it seems to me nothing is like a DB including an EDB. There are a fair amount of people who will insist on the DB.

That said, a good fretless is a wonderful voice in its own right. I am always in search of the ultimate fretless tone (which to me is warm woody and with a lot of sustain). I have a 4 string Zon lightwave which I have been told by musicians that, if they close their eyes they think they are hearing a DB. I play in big bands and combos and consistently get that comment. I think the Zon is wonderful and the basses made by Lightwave do not compare. Joe Zon's necks are special. No dead spots, endless sustain. Joe is not making Lightwaves anymore. If you can find one buy it or contact me so I can buy it. I should add that I put some of Rob Allen's La Bella black tape wound on my Zon and got even closer to an acoustic sound. (sometimes I miss the roundwound).

Notwithstanding the above, I think the Rob Allen Deep 4 may be a bit warmer and woodier. I took a trip with my Zon to Santa Barbara and annoyed Rob for several hours playing and comparing all of his basses and my Zon. I personally preferred the Zon to his MTD but it seemed to me that his Deep 4 was warmer and woodier and closer to DB. I put my money where my mouth is and ordered one which should be almost finished. I look forward to owning both and may post a review.

I also have a couple Vigiers with metal fingerboards. A lot of sustain and tone especially in the lower notes. Extreme tonal variations using the different controls. I like them a lot but the Zon and Rob Allen are closer to DB.