1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rob Trujilo - His playing style?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Mar 27, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    This man is one of my favorite funkers, especially in infectious grooves. I'm curious, anyone ever looked at his playing with a critical eye? Find out how he does it? His playing style?

2. What amazes me is how he can play well and fast with his bass down around his shins! Even if I could pull that off, I think I would get really unfomortable really quickly.

3. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    In my opinion, Rob Trujilo's playing style is pretty funkay and slap happy,,, but it seems to have lost his style the minute he got into Ozzy's band... maybe his not showing it on purpose. But a lot of the attention he gets are from his appearance and showmanship rather than from his playing

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    yeah, he was nowhere near as good with Ozzy....:meh:

5. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    maybe because with Ozzy and Metallica he is a hired gun and is being paid to play the songs they way they are written..

I doubt Metallica will let him be his funky Mofo self...which is unfortunate...

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

i 100% agree. But i really hope he does at least a little bit of his funkiness on metallica's new album.

because, even though metallica is my favourite band, i dont think they will be able to pull off another "classic" album.

7. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    I've only seen and heard him with Metallica, so I don't know how good he really is. Any recordings inparticular that showcase his talent?

8. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    check out Infectious Grooves

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    check out my original post.

And I was more looking for, you know, patterns in his playing. What gives him his distinction?

10. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    i get tired just seeing him crouch down and play...i wonder why he strap his bass so low... and i don't think metallica will EVER pull off another classic album... their last best was probably Master of Puppets...Thats it...Frm Then on its all boring...Its probably because Cliff wasn't there anymore... Mainstream and MTV killed them and turned them to pop hippies...

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    He wasn't playing bass on Metallica's recording. I understand though that he'll have more imput on the next recording. He cuts loose as his usual self in live performances though. I'd like to hear what Rob's style would do to the direction of Matellica's music.

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    do you have Metallica's "some kind of monster" DVD... You can see him in action at his tryout for Metallica and it shows how he joined them and stuff like that.

Also, get St. Anger the CD/DVD version. The CD is okay but i actually prefer the DVD. It is of them playing the entire record song after song and you can see some of his style.

Recommended if you are a fan and it will give you an ideas and show you first hand how he rolls. May be video.google.com may have some Infectious Grooves or Suicidal Tendencies music videos which you can watch him play.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

One of my favorite songs.

14. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Rob quoted in in the So What?!? book that he mostly plays with his fingers but has used a pick when neccessary. He really doesn't have a unique style (other than the high stepping/crawling he does on stage) but he prefers P or J style pickups and rests his thumb on the pickup. This next Metallica album will include Rob and we will probably hear a lot of stuff like Suicidal.

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ I've always seen rob with EMG-J's, although on the Black Sabbath tribute he used an EMG-P.

And he did used to use soapbars (Tobias days). At least I'm pretty sure he played tobias basses...

16. Dude, WT$? I agree that Cliff was pretty good, but he was only good when it comes to tecnique... Jason was the best player they've ever had.... He rocked on stage, had a fantastic, songsupporting playing style, and his backing vocals just rocked everyone elses....

17. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    After i heard cliff, the rest was like cliff's replacement... Didn't bother checking the other albums after master... Newsteads gd huh?? Well I must check em' out...:hyper:

My bad, didnt mean to offend everyone...but dont u agree that they turned popish???

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Rob was ripping it up with Metallica at the Rock and Roll hall of fame inductions with the Black Sabbath covers ! :bassist:

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Damn, I wanted to see that so bad! Reminds me, gotta look up youtube.

20. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Newsted is quite good, but very different. Definetely worth checking out. I like them both, although Orion makes me like cliff a little more.