1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rock N Roll that requires a 5 string.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Clark W, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I'm looking for Rock N Roll songs that require the use of a 5 string bass in standard BEADG tuning to play.

Name some of your favorites. And go...

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Between The Buried & Me - Dan uses a 5 string. Not exactly simple songs.

DrMole and Clark W like this.
  3. Some Fishbone stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head.

4. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    LIST:

[Songs that aren't rock'n'roll]

and/or

[songs that don't "require" a 5-string]

if MIRACLE

[songs that are rock'n'roll and do actually "require" a 5-string]

END

thabassmon, paco facile and Bob_Ross like this.
  5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    All of them? The way I play them, the B string is usually being used.

Required? None

There's always a way around anything.

squarepeg, paco facile and AGCurry like this.
  6. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Rock and roll... rock 'n' roll ... Rock N Roll...

I think of "rock and roll" as from before, say, 1965, when "rock music" started to become a thing. So the answer according to that criterion would be "none."

Basses with a low B string didn't really become popular until what, late 1980s? If you want to sound just like the record, I'm sure there are countless examples. If you don't mind doing without the 5 lowest notes, you don't need five strings.

Jhengsman likes this.
  7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    No music requires a five string. If your bass will play all eight notes of the octave, and it's related # & b's you've got all you need.

8. Oh good. Another ‘ who needs a fiver ‘ themed thread.

SwitchGear likes this.
  9. Straight up rock and roll? Probably not much. Modern country demands it. Fusion, prog rock, metal. Rock and roll not so much.

SwitchGear likes this.
  10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Oh good. Another condescending post from someone not contributing to the thread.

Kriegs, squarepeg, Bassface65 and 4 others like this.
  11. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I use the B string a lot on Shine by Collective soul...ymmv

PMagers and Clark W like this.
  12. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    It's not about needing a fiver, it's about listing some music that is done a on five string. Since I just got a fiver over the weekend I would like some music to to use it to work on.

Thanks for all your help. Next time go play somewhere else.

richntiff likes this.
  13. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Funny about country music. Guess I might be learning some.
    I'm looking for music, preferably rock, that the original recording the bassist used a fiver on. I picked up a fiver over the weekend and used it on some recording stuff I had been working where I was using a 4 string with the E string tuned down to D. Just looking for more stuff to put the bass through it's paces with.

14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    ...oh, and Comfortably Numb. When it goes into the repeating, descending line at the end it really moves the bowels to take it down to the open B....BOOM!!!

Clark W likes this.
  15. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I was looking for music, mainly rock, that the original bassist used a five string on. Picked one up this past weekend and wanting to find stuff to play on it that I can use the lower register of the B string on. I can use it all the time cause most of the stuff I do is half a step down. But I can do that with any of my 4s.

16. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I will definitely have to work on that one since I get to play it regularly half a step down anyway.

17. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Band I was in years ago had maybe 8-10 songs we did a half step down. Bought a cheap (NYPro) fiver to tune down. That way I only had to do a quick bass swap for those songs. Kept them all in one place in the set too.

18. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I stay involved in two different projects all the time and it never fails, one stays in standard all the time. The other half a step down all the time.

This past weekend I went out to buy some XLR cables and came home with a Peavey Millennium BXP 5. Still trying to figure that one out. I knew was in trouble the minute the neck was in my hand before I even made a sound with it. All around its a pretty solid bass. A lot easier to play than what I thought a fiver would be. I played it all weekend.

19. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    When I got my first fiver, I went total immersion. Locked up the four and MADE myself learn that five. Now I use both.

Rezdog likes this.
  20. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    After playing it this weekend I dont even care about picking up one of my 4s. I have six of 'em. The neck on the five is just so "right" for my hand for whatever reason that it makes playing easier even if I'm not using the B string on a song.