1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Good to know! 33" scale has worked perfectly for me for many years now.

Fred312b likes this.
  2. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

Sold my LG custom last month, so now I have something 'Loaded on Delivery Vehicle', and the TI jazz flats are waiting. :hyper:

SmartSelect_20191203-084439_Reverb.jpg

Freddy-G., bassmahn, scottm and 11 others like this.
  3. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Nice!

staccatogrowl likes this.
  4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I've lusted after that one at CME. Enjoy!

staccatogrowl, steelin4u and Fred312b like this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Nice bass. I have debated a Century P bass as I love the neck so much. I haven't tried a classic but if the neck is like a P or J bass, I don't know if I'd like it.

staccatogrowl and steelin4u like this.
  6. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    OMG!!!:jawdrop:

Totally love it!

Can't wait to hear your first impressions!

What's the pre? Hopefully an Aggie.

7. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    You got that one from Chicago Bass Exchange? I was dying that one lol

8. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    LOL

Like either of you cats need another Roscoe!:D

9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    and people said I had a problem...

10. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    One Roscoe is more than enough!

Joe BassPlayer and staccatogrowl like this.
  11. steelin4u

FWIW, I've tried/owned the 4 & 5 string classics, and I prefer the original Roscoe necks and spacing more. The Classic necks aren't exactly like a J neck, but different enough from the Century neck that I sold the Classic.

Fred312b, staccatogrowl and SteveC like this.
  12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yep, I'm not sure how a Century Standard passive P would look (lots of empty space on that body with one pickup and 2 knobs) but if I could get a "traditional" neck on a classic body...I have never played a neck that is as comfortable and playable to me as a "traditional" Roscoe 5 string neck...and I've tried a lot of basses.

When I play my G&L (pretty close to a "Fender" neck) it feels weird, both the neck shape (thickness front to back mostly) and 19mm spacing. That has kept me from trying to justify a classic. Fortunately my pair of Century 5's - fretted and fretless - seem to cover all my needs. I have my passive G&L JB with flats if I really need that sound for some reason. For church (fretless) and the cover band (fretted) no one seems to be complaining at this point.

13. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring the spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Congrats are normally in order. However, please forgive me for being the bearer of bad news: Your new bass is missing a string!

14. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    He could string it B - D ‍♀️

15. steelin4u

@SteveC, that is brilliant. I've had a super cheap 4 string P with flats that I've been happy with. I almost considered getting a Nash P or building one to have a legit P, but even though it might sound great, I think I would miss the Roscoe neck and modern body shape.

@staccatogrowl This is why I waffled on purchasing this one for a long while. I eventually decided to get the 4-banger to force myself into the traditional range of pitches I would have to play on 'old-school' songs.

Fred312b and staccatogrowl like this.
  16. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    IMHO the P-Bass vibe (and Jazz for that matter) is all about the whole package. The sound, the look, the feel of the neck, the scale, the pickups, the strings.
    I love the way my Roscoe plays and sounds but I don't want every instrument that I own to feel the same.

I want instruments that feel, play and sound differently so that I'm inspired in different ways when I play.

mwbonsall, Freddy-G., Pacman and 5 others like this.
  17. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Very well said, Joe!! Very well said!!
    My sentiments exactly. :thumbsup:

18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don’t completely disagree, but I am so spoiled by the neck on my Roscoe everything else feels off.

19. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring the spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Having been to the mountain top, gaining increased clarity, awareness, and enlightment, nothing is wrong with enjoying a lower-elevation attraction found along that path.

However, if someone told me that I had to play a total-Leo-package, jumbo-body, stabbing-and-killing-my-rib-cage Pbass or Jbass after said enlightening journey, I would have to go with something like this.

77087704_2841154099270901_8269000230322569216_o.jpg

From the Real Roscoe Guitars FB page: "Purple ! ! Yeah for Ivan ! ! Your spectacular Roscoe Modern Classic is done. . .
    • 9 lbs.
    • Swamp Ash body
    • Buckeye Burl top, stained purple
    • Aguilar Super Double pickups
    • Pale Moon Ebony fingerboard
    This bass sounds and plays as good as it looks. Tons of fun to build this one."

Keith Roscoe's evolution of Leo's 70-year-old design would certainly be appreciated by Leo. Could you imagine Leo's reaction if he heard one of today's musically gifted players with this bass, playing through a modern amp and cabinet, say Bergantino Forte HP or Mesa WD800 through equal-caliber cabinet(s)?

My guess is that this bass feels and sounds quite different from its LG, SKB, Century family. It's gotta' be a great player though, given Keith's design improvements, artistic application, and attention to build and finish details. How could one not be inspired to play in a different way when playing a bass like this?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  20. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Man!
    What a killer top and finish! And the fingerboard blends really well with the top.

I'm not a purple bass kind of guy but that really looks nice.