1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Reminds me of my semester project in Composition: "Adagio in C minus" ...

2. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    :laugh: C minus!

getting ready for takeoff in C minus 9th!

staccatogrowl likes this.
  3. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I’m wishing for a “dad joke groan” emoji myself :D

4. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    A ‘dad joke groan’ emoji? :roflmao:
    Do you mean a ‘bad joke groan’ emoji? :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    staccatogrowl and TolerancEJ like this.
  5. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Similar, but there’s a nuance to dad jokes...

staccatogrowl likes this.
  6. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Fixed it!:thumbsup:

staccatogrowl and Nightman like this.
  7. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    :roflmao: You guys are cracking me up!!

Joe BassPlayer likes this.
  8. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona

Speaking of Christmas Songs and Roscoe, I'll just leave this here...

Mark

9. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    So awesome!
    Greg did such an awesome job on that tune!

mwbonsall likes this.
  10. Nightman

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    In the tune of ‘O Christmas Tree’. ( not in B# minus!)
    Oh Roscoe neck, Oh Roscoe neck, how much I love to hold you near!

11. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    Thank you! Love them all.

12. blmartin2215

blmartin2215

Feb 14, 2006
    dallas
    Interesting, I have three SKBs all with Roscoe wound Bartolini pickups and pre. Two are ash and one is Spanish Cedar. They all have different fingerboard woods lol. Pau Ferro on the ash and Pauduk on the other Ash and lastly Cocobolo on the Spanish Cedar. They all sound a bit different but I’m not really sure which is the reason, body wood or fingerboard. The Spanish cedar is a signature and the neck is different while the two Ash bodied ones do sound pretty similar they still sound a little different and of course they have different top woods ... of brother then there is that lol. But in the end they all sound more similar than different

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I’ve always thought this as well. yes, you can hear differences, some more subtle than others, but in the end They all sound like a Roscoe.

Joe BassPlayer and staccatogrowl like this.
  14. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Eastern NC
    This is true.

My Bart PJ LG sounds like a PJ flavor on the classic Roscoe sound. It's really not nearly as a noticeably different from my LG with Roscoe Barts as most other companies basses sound different from one another. They still have the fundamental Roscoe sound.

Joe BassPlayer and staccatogrowl like this.
  15. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yep, I agree. There are certainly nuances in tone between identically spec'd basses. While the differences are there, you're exactly right, in the end they do all sound more similar than different.

Even between some basses of different builders, in a mix, it'd be impossible for me to pick the specifics out. For example, my Century JJ5 and Lakland DJ5 both sound like a jazz bass. Solo and comparing the two through headphones, they definitely sound different from each other.

The Lakland with it's single coils, maple board, and ash body has a bit more upper end treble and that single coil midrangey grind vs. the somewhat rounder, thicker sounding Century JJ5 with its Aguilar humcancelling pickups, pau ferro board, and mahogany body (I also removed the batteries and have been running it passive using the push/pull as a mute switch). Quite discernible tone differences between the two, yet in a mix, they both just give a great jazz bass tone.

I've got a G&L JB-5 inbound that I'm looking forward to comparing to the Roscoe and Lakland. It'll have it's own flair (Empress body, rosewood board, and single coils), but in a mix, I'm sure it'll sound more similar than different to the other two.

Avalon5, Joe BassPlayer and Fred312b like this.
  16. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Is that normal for Centuries to be thicker necks than SKB necks or is that just normal bass-to-bass variances? But if you feel that it's just not working for you, I have Paypal and I'm not afraid to use it. ;)

steelin4u and Fred312b like this.
  17. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Uh oh. I honestly haven’t decided if I’m keeping it yet, really haven’t had much of a chance to play it (was out of town for work for 6 weeks, and now with holiday travels :rollno: ). I need to get my priorities in order ;)

Freddy-G. and Laklandfan like this.
  18. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    A friend of mine who I believe goes by Astroman on TB let me check out his recently acquired headless LG 5 with P/J Aguilar pickups. What a fantastic bass! I believe it weighs about 6lbs, can't even feel it on your shoulder. I don't like light basses because they are often neck heavy because the body is too light for good balance causing me shoulder pains. With the headless design, that issue is eliminated. I'm definitely going to get one of these, just too much fun to play

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    A headless Roscoe is definitely something that stays in the back of my mind. My issue is the cost. Would have to go custom for my preferred scale length.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  20. WorktheWood

WorktheWood Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I don't believe Keith charges any more for custom scale lengths. With the CNC and Plek it's very easy for him to make changes.

emjazz likes this.