Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humabass, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Just a quick question. Are all Roscoe fives 35" scale? Maybe it's just me but wherever I see a Roscoe listed for sale nobody ever mentions the scale length, not even their own website! Also what is the usual string spacing? I'm looking for a a 34"scale 5 with a 17mm spacing (looking to replace my Stingray 5).

Thanks

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Roscoes have a 35" scale standard-you have to special order one if you want a 34" scale, and it's like a $300 upcharge. Not positive on the string spacing, but I believe it's either 18mm or 17mm standard.

3. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
  4. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The Roscoe has a 11/16" string to string spacing although the Hip shot bridge does allow some minor adjusting. That would equate to slightly over 17mm spacing (.688 vrs .669). You could easily adjust the string spacing to exactly 17mm spacing at the bridge. I hear a few TB'ers talk about wanting a Roscoe with a 34" scale but personally I would be afraid it would lose that great "B" string sound. I just don't find much noticable difference in playing a 34" scale vrs a 35" scale. If you've never played a Roscoe I'd highly reccommend that you do. They have one of the best feeling necks that I've found.

5. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I've owned several 35's (Lakland, Modulus,MTD) and since I have short fingers that little extra difference that many say isn't noticeable is very noticeable to me. Even the 34's with wide spacing are a challenge. I think the time has come for a custom order.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd love to play a 34' scale Roscoe, I think it would be a smokin' bass. I actually think that Keith should consider going to a 34.5' scale format.

7. socasaul

socasaul

Jan 28, 2005
    Why would you want a 34" 5 string in the first place? The 35" scale 5 string will allow the low B string to be taught enough to get some tone out of it.. The 34s the B string is kind of flappy in my opinion..

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's been discussed a thousand times before here on TB-a 35" scale doesn't guarantee a tighter B than a 34". Certain companies make basses with 34" scale that have a much tighter B-string than basses with 35" scale. I believe that the actual difference that someone came up with is that a 35" bass, forgetting about all other factors (which make a big deal), is only 3% tighter than 34".