Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rotary switch for you series/parallel guys!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dhuffguitars, Mar 12, 2004.

1. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Sheldon Dingwall has this great 4 position rotarty switch/circut board that works great on them jazz basses, and other basses as well!

It gives you-
    1. neck only
    2. both p.u. in series
    3. both p.u. in parallel
    4. bridge only

You can use a regular set screw knob on them to retain the original jazz look. I had to do no modification to the cavity for it to fit in. Real straight forward wiring as well, easy for the beginner!

Contact Sheldon for pricing and availablity-
    sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
    http://www.dingwallguitars.com

2. My problem has been with any type of rotary switch (as opposed to a toggle) is the dexterity to get the switch through the positions you don't like to get to the ones you do. To first buy a bass and realize you have the option of 4, or six or whatever different combinations in series/ parallel and to realize that you don't like one or the other.

In any case, the problem is because of me or my preference, not the switch itself. :D

If I could I'd figure a nice way of disabling the series/ parallel switch in my G&L I would. I already redid the pickup selector switch.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's about freakin' time that someone came out with something like this! ;) This is the exact pickup selection mechanism I've had in my '71 Jazz for the past 5 years, also my P-J bass. I'm not sure which part my tech used to accomplish this, but it's a great configuration... great to be able to run series for a deeper/ballsier tone when needed, and you lose a tone-sucking pot from the signal chain.

4. What did you do to your G&L? How does it work now? Very Curious...

Can you also tell me which one is which, as far as the series/parallel switch on a G&L L-2500. Is the position when the switch is towards the headstock Series or Parallel?

Do you have a way to level the volume when switching between the series and parallel settings during a gig? Compressor?

5. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Does anybody have a diagram for such switching scheme?

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've often thought that having a pickup selector as opposed to a blend knob, or individual volume controls would be easier to recall specific tones as opposed to trying to dial in the proper amount of each pickup and being satisfied with getting it "close enough".

That being said, all of my current basses are single pickup instruments.....

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sheldon might send you a diagram, I dunno. He posts here, Sheldon D.

I love this switch, and just FYI, JP Basses and Skjold also both use this switch. Another advantage to a switch vs a blend is that you dont have any volume loss at certain postions. It limits you to 4 base sounds, actually, 3, series just being louder than parallel usually (at least IME). But most people dont get more than 3-4 usuable sounds out of a blend anyhow, with some exceptions of course.

8. I'm reviving this thread. Came across it and became VERY interested in purchasing/building my own. Sent Sheldon an email, but have yet to receive a response. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I had one of these switches in my Ric bass back in the late 70's, and in a fretless P/J bass in the 80's. It was real handy in the P bass with the limited knob count ... I had volume, the pickup selector, and tone.

For those who like to DIY, here's the hand drawn schematic (from 1985). You need a 3 pole, 4 position switch. You can even pick them up in Radio Shack, and Stew-Mac has them with longer threaded shafts.

If it's not obvious, FB P.U. = fingerboard pickup. (P.U. or P/U is the correct abbreviation for pickup, NOT "pup" which is a small dog ;) ) The switch diagram shows the poles as A, B, and C. as shown from the bottom. You just have to find which is which with a continuity tester, or look at the contacts as you turn the switch. N.C. means "no connection". Connections "B" and "C" with the (+) and ground symbols are the output to the volume and tone controls. A connects to the neck (FB) pickup hot.

10. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I have been designing the electronics for a bass that I'm going to build, and have been about ready to murder because I couldn't find a 4 way switch. (I was going to have to use a push-pull with an on-off-on. Too much wiring!)

Thanks for the info,
    Beast

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I just love the 4pos rotary switch that Sheldon Dingwall makes. Instant choice!!!

12. My Framus Nashville had that switch since '74....

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I remember those basses. The Framus is actually: 1) neck pickup only 2) both pickups in phase 3) both pickups out of phase and 4) bridge pickup only. There is no series setting.

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/retro-rama-1974/jun-08/85565

I got the idea from the Gibson L6-S and L9-S Ripper (both designed in 1972), except the ripper also has the fairly useless out-of-phase settings.

I used to like to do the 6 way L6-S switches, and just eventually distilled it down to four, removing the two out-of-phase settings.

Both the Framus and Gibson switches and pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence.

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Stan Hinsley aat www.has-sound.com also offers a 5-way version of this pot, with the extra position being both pups in series, out of phase. Don't know how broadly useful that position is, but sounds like it may offer at least an interesting addition to the tone palette.

15. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Formerly "domdec314" Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
  16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Awesome, I was looking at the HAS one, but this one looks good.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Out of phase sounds are as useless as it gets for bass. So the fifth position would be wasted.

18. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
  19. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    No blend though, having said that I do just tend to the use the full positions on my warwick so....

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's what I'm starting to think. If I get one of these, it'll probably be from Dingwall in that case.