Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassisgood, Dec 19, 2005.

1. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Hello I have been using rotosounds on and off for 15 years(rounds) and three days ago I some flatwound jazz bass 77's, Cost me $76.00 Canadain. Anyways the a-string buzzes like crazy and I checked all the frets and its not touching, I put a old A string from a roundwound pack and it sounds good. do these guys make crappy strings ad sell them for the price of a cheap bass? you did say to email Rotosound, I tried that and no luck. I will go off now and see if I can return them. Time to switch brands I think! Even ghs boomers($28.95) or series A($19.95) strings are not defective. I think at three or more times the cost of strings you should have quality! I suggest boycotting these guys myself.
    This is my first post i got registered just to state some facts on these stringmakers. The sound quailty is all in my own opinoin but keep in mind I know what is what been playing for 17 years and can tell a dead string!

Your thoughts on string quaility? Who gives ua the best bang for the buck. If I was Steve Harris year my bass tech could grab hundreds of dollars worth of them off the shelf, but I am not a millionaire and These strings do cost 1/5 the price of my bass. My christmas present to myself was to try flatwounds even at $76.00 A BIG WASTE OF MONEY!!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Switching from rounds to flats usually means that you're going to need a setup. Try that first before you give up on them.
  3. Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Rotos are fantastic! Bad strings don't buzz;
    Bad SETUPS buzz!
  4. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Ok lets see, I cranked the bridge all the way up and it still buzzes!
    Its not touching the fretboard! Its the string! How come if i switch that string out with any other string it wont buzz, and that string only the same guage! How come? Its not the setup its the string!
    The music store guy said come back on tuesday when the tech is in.(good luck with that I think) I have bought a bass that the input jack was weak and the weight of the cord would pull it out.(I never use that bass now becuase I need to find a input jack tat will fit the same tech told me that there is nothing wrong with the bass.
    So i can imaigne what he is going to say.
    Another thread on here stated that Rotosound "A" string would buzz and the rotosound company replaced the string.
    I am experiencing similar problems. Lets say when i play the top e string i can hear a faint ratteling and it goes away if I play the top e string and mute the a string. Its the string!! NOT THE FRETBOARD!!
    I have never in my life came accross such a idea of a "string" itself buzzing, but here I am with GARBAGE!!!
  5. Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Wow. That's just wierd. Only thing I can think of is crappy
    winding around the bridge. I mean - what else could possibly buzz?
  6. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Sorry if I sound harsh, I would have jumped on a guy with arms swinging if he made a claim like I just did before this happened.
    Bad part is i am recording every day now and its my only bass at home. My two other basses are at rehersal. I guess I will show the tech tomorrow and let you guys know tomorrow afternoon how it goes. He is a quialified "Yamaha Tech" the salesman told me before.
    He bassically is a qualified idoit. Its more of a store problem then a string problem the other two guys in town would have changed it already without even asking one question. These guys are dillweeds.
    I just thought I would pick the strings up on the way from the dentist yesterday becuase it was on the way home. That goes to show you dont deal with crappy music stores that the guys in there have no spine and dont know a damn thing.
    Let me see the manager so I can take you guys to the drugstore to pick out your get well cards. :mad:
  7. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Rotosound contacted me today and said we will send you a new string in the mail, we don't want to even see the old string.
    He said it is probably a relaxed coil. I am not going to the music store again where I bought the strings. But I will buy another set of flats they feel cool.
  8. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    once in a while you will get a bad string from most of the big name string brands - it depends on the quality control.
    anyway, i had only one bad string from a couple of sets of ROTO and it only sounded dead on one spot on my fretless and Rotosound rep. sent me a brand new string + a new set - now
    thats what i call a good customer service...
    but the problem you had sounds odd...i think it was the string, but i also think you should do a setup to your bass with every new set.
  9. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    I'd be pretty pi$$ed off if I just spent upwards of 80 bucks on a set of strings! I have just switched to Roto Sound, they did not cost me 80 but I did pay about 40 for them which is the most I ever payed for a set of strings. So far I really like the tone and feel. Hopefully I don't run into any problems. Before switching to Roto Sound I tried the following -

-Polinski (Polish strings, nice warm tone)
    -Dean Markley (hated them, too much of a shiny and metallic sound)

As you can see I like to switch brands quite often, I am not that brand loyal and like to try new things. It's the best way to find out what is right for you. Right now I like Rotosound and will probably stick with them for the time being until I read about a new set of strings in my Bass Player Magazine...
  10. I've had the Rotosound 77 flats on all my basses for about 2 years now, no problems. From the sound of everything, you just got a rare defect. I have no idea what could be wrong with it to make it buzz though...

Also, $76 canadian sounds a little steep for these strings. They are about $30 (USD) at my local GC
  11. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I just put a set of Rotosound Swingbass 66s on my Lakland. It has never sounded so good. I will see how long they last but the tone is geat on this bass. I am a really big fan of DR Lowriders but like to try something different every now and then and have been wanting to try these. They are great. :hyper: The only place to buy strings in my opinion you are spending way to much.
  12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    If you swithched from rounds to flats your neck is probably bowed, especially if you switched to Roto flats. They are the stiffest flats on the market. Tweak your truss rod and do a set-up the buzz should dissapear.
  13. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    I just took that string off and put a roundwond in the place of the defective a and it sounds great, the string is crapped. Rotosound is sending me a new one. The swingbass 66 series is round=cheaper?
    77's are flats=+$$$ right?