1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RotoSound Strings?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ClaytonH, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    RotoSound Double Bass Nylon Wound/Monel Wound on Stranded Core, are they good?

2. OK for Rockabilly , They are something of an oddity in the DB string world , a strange pairing of flat aluminum wound solid nylon core , with Fatter nylon D and G , kinda like a plastic version of steellish E and A with plastic gut D.G.
    But they are still used a lot in the Rockabilly Psycho genres and The D and G slap pretty good .

3. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    The nylon on nylon G and D are absolutely great, low tension, strings for slap rockabilly and bluegrass. Really good on my bass. They also have a very pleasing old fashioned sound on jazz pizz. If you abrade the bridge end of the string you can also bow them with a bit of practice. The arco sound is acceptable but not inspiring. I changed to Obligatos while I was having classical lessons.

I'm not a fan of the monel covered A and E at all. They just don't feel or sound right to me. However, I can't afford to try (or get to like) gut, so I've not found good slap A and E strings yet.

Anyone know if the Presto/Eurosonic A and E are any better than the Rotosound?

4. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    are they good for jazz or les claypool kinda stuff.is what i'm asking

5. I must admit I don't know who is Les Claypool, and how he sounds. (and I'm assuming he's a bassist)
    But here's my point:
    I bet that, even with his own bass, you wouldn't sound like him.
    I also bet that, with your own bass, he'd still sound like Les Claypool.

You'll read that in many other threads, but the sound mostly comes from your hands.
    The gear is secondary.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    ...and I'll have to add the if you had searched on "Rotosound" in the Strings - DB forum, you would have found that they come up about once a year, always from an electric bass guitarist who is just getting into or maybe just thinking about getting into doublebass. I can't think of the last time someone who currently plays DB more than 50% of the time mentioned Rotosound strings...or stated passionately that "they really wish DR would start making strings for standup", which also comes up about once a year from the same source.

There are a whole different set of manufacturers, trying to port over loyalties from the slab doesn't really work.

7. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Rotosound has been making the RS4000 nylon double bass strings since the late 70s, early 80s. They are not new, and have been one of the most popular strings for rockabilly/psychobilly slap bass since they were put on the market, especially in Europe.

8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Didn't say they were new. I'll admit that I wasn't aware that they were big with Rockabilly bassists, but I still stand by my statements and to support my claim, a search revealed that Rotosounds were mentioned in 4 threads since Jan 2008. One of them was started by an electric bassist planning a move to DB and wanting to know if anyone knew of any GHS strings for standup. (I forgot to mention GHS questions when I was being obtuse).

And, Les Claypool isn't a Rockabilly bassist, he's a rock EBGist turned jazz/fusion explorer.

And, I checked the OPs profile and he seems to own several electric basses, gas for another and there's no mention of a doublebass at all.

So, I'm not completely off sides on this one, yeah?

9. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Not off sides, I was just providing a little more info on those strings. They actually aren't a bad pizz string, if you like more of a low tension "gut" wannabe string like some players do. I find them a bit twangy for slap playing.

Slab players probably see them when looking at bass guitar strings online and wonder in here and ask about them. They are easy to get at musicians friend, G Center online, etc.

10. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Still no one has answerd my qustion, ARE THEY GOOD FOR JAZZ?!?!?! It's for my ergo, also want to know if there good for bowing. Or if they just suck and should shell out enough for some D'Ardarios (really don't, to expenseve compared to the roto sound strings on JustStrings.com)

11. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My point exactly.

Clayton, I think Gearhead has given you about as good of an answer as you're going to get. I'll stop short of saying "no one uses them", but I've never met a jazz player who has ever mentioned using them and I'm a string geek, so I always look, listen and ask. So try them out if you like, but you're going it alone. I suspect that you're inclined to do so because you like or are familiar with their EBG strings...and D'Addario are also familiar, but it doesn't really translate.

Helicores Hybrids are not bad strings and have their following in jazz. If you want advice on what to try, tell us what you are looking for or...do some searching through the DB strings stickies. There's a lot of info out there for every sound in someone's muse's head.

Or pop for the Rotosounds and then post your impressions so we'll know.

12. Not a good jazz string matey , of course this is just my opinion , but you wont find them on many jazz bassists DOUBLE BASS . Spiros are "GOOD" for jazz, you have to spend the bucks and find what works with the monster..theres no other way .

13. Additionnally, "are they good for jazz ?" doesn't mean much.
    Some jazz guys like a thuddy gut-like tone, others a bright sustainy Spiro sound.

You need to define what you're looking for in a jazz string.

Not easy, huh?
    :)

14. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Yes, they are great for Jazz, like I said before. :meh:

That is, if by "Jazz" , you mean Psychobilly.

15. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think I'm going to start calling my friend Billy Brandt "Psychobilly".

16. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey, then we'll know what kind of strings are good for him! :)

17. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH

Yes I know it's acoustic but thats close to what I want. Dosn't have to be exact but close but not horibly far away. So by gussing, maby a Funk/jazz fusion. Or if you can direct me to some strings that can get me close and not break the bank. Plese, the stock Ergo strings is not good!

18. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    http://www.connollyandco.com/Pages/artistitem.php?the_ID=262

He appears to be endorsed by Thomastik Spirocores, medium gauge. Easily the most common and jazz bass string for the last 30-40 years. Less than $150 new, can get them anywhere that sells DB strings and could probably pick up a used set here if you watch and wait. they last forever and a coda.

19. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    well I do not have it right now. I might be getting it in the summer. This is just the reaserch phase Blais.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.