1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RotoSound Strings?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ClaytonH, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckyincarnate

duckyincarnate

Oct 18, 2005
    London, UK
    Well then, if you want the sound that said guy is getting, maybe reconsider the Ergo. As has been repeated over and over again in this forum, only a DB sounds like a DB.

I have an Ergo and I like it a lot, and I think it is a great buy.

But it seems to me that asking string questions for your hypothetical EUB is doing nothing to get you closer to the sound you desire, which by your own admission is an acoustic sound. Why an EUB?

2. Then you should first read the Ergo megathread.
    Damon Smith is probably the most knowleadgeable person on this instrument, so read all his posts on the thread.

Also his websites:
    http://www.myspace.com/damonsmithsolo
    http://www.myspace.com/smithdamon
    http://www.balancepointacoustics.com/damon.php

Warning: Damon is mostly an improviser, and plays a lot with the bow. It may not be your kind of music.

3. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Well Mostly that is what I want to play, like I said before I want to play a little Primus/ Les Claypool stuff along with the jazz. And I'll ask my question again because I thought it did'nt get awnserd. I these are not good for jazz/ arco then plese direct me to some strings that are good but are under $175.

4. As I previously said, I don't know who is Les Claypool.

Now, if you want to play some arco too, you need a kind of hybrid string, that works "well" for both duties.
    I put quotes on well because it's not an easy task to design a string that's good at both arco and pizz since the needs are at the opposite.

Thomastik Superflexibles are affordable, still have a very good pizz tone, and more bowable than Spirocores.

Corellis are good too, and even cheaper I think.
    They're also thinner and easier to play, which may be interesting for you if you're new to upright playing.

D'Addario Hybrids are another alternative, and possible the cheapest since they're US made. (and furthermore available in three gauges)

There are other alternatives, but I'm staying with these for the moment being.

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Odd, I thought your first question "Are Rotosound strings good for jazz" was answered very directly once we actually found someone who had used them, which was not easy to do.

I thought your second question "Something appropriate under $175, like this guy on YouTube" was answered quite specifically by me here:

I had you pegged as a guy that didn't even own a bass and was trying to pick appropriate theoretical strings for an instrument you don't own and can't play anyway from your first post. No idea why you would keep the attitude up that you haven't gotten an appropriate response yet, but take a breath and think about whether you really want to alienate yourself with this community before you even get started. Assuming you ever start this journey you might appreciate the support.

Hey, EUB community, he's all yours.

6. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Right now I'm officaly droping this thread because I found some D'addario hybris that are in the ballpark of what i wanted.

7. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Fantastic! Now, if only you had a bass to put them on.

8. Closing this thread now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.