1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Round core and hexagon core

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by metallibass95, Apr 22, 2009.

1. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    What is the difference in sound between round core strings and hexagon core strings?

2. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    String makers say,Hex Core are stiffer, and sound a little deeper. Round Core are more flexable and brighter. I can't really hear much difference in sound,but to me Round Core strings do feel more flexable. Hope this helps answer your question.

3. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

Yeah it does thanks man. So by stiffer do you mean more tension? And are most common strings made with round core or hex core?

4. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Yeah,they feel like they have a little more tension to me. Most strings are Hex Core. Some Round Core strings I have tried are,DR Sunbeams,DR Highbeams,Fender 8255's and Fender 8250's. The Fender 8250's have a tapered E & B string though,so I don't think you would want to use them unless your bass strings through the body.

5. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    Wow most strings are hex core? thats crazy. I've tried sunbeams before they were pretty smooth sounding. Usually what I play are ErnieBall Slinkys and Rotosound 66 steel strings. Are they both hex core?

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Slinkys are round core, not sure about the Rotos. Round cores have less tension than hex cores, as stated already.

7. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    I just looked at a Bass Player Magazine String Review from the December 2004 issue. The Rotosound Swing Bass 66 are "Piano Wire Hex Core". The Ernie Ball Slinky Bass Strings are discribed as " Tempered Tin-Plated High Carbon Steel", I would think are a Hex Core as that is pretty much the standard in string design,but they could be Round Core.

8. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    Yeah seems ErnieBalls would be round core cause they are flexible and bright. But yeah thats cool about the core of the strings though. Something else i've learned today, lol. Thanks for all the answers.

9. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
  10. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    my faves are DR lo riders. hex core, stainless wrap

mpiercew59 likes this.
  11. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

That is awsome. From what it says it seems the hex cores would have alot better of a sound than round cores. And I am really in love with higher tension strings because where they don't flop around I can really lower my action down on the fret board and not worry about fret buzz or string slap. If I wasn't so into the ErnieBall brightness and twang brand new right outta the pack, I would give D'Addario a try.

12. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    And as for good sounding. Well....

That says it all. That's awsome. Very smooth, and especially works well on a modern active bass where you would expect some twangy highs a little bit, those strings keep the smoothness even up on the high notes, almost like passive vintage basses do. Not only that but a good slap bass sound too! Smoothness and good slap tone, 2 for the price of one!

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    D'Addario uses a hex core, and they pretty much started it. Ernie Ball also used to tout the advantages of a hex core (duh- of course they did- their strings WERE D'Addario strings!)*

The most direct comparision I've made is playing the same bass strung wtih DR Hi-Beams (stainless wrap on a round core) and Low-Riders (stainless wrap on a hex core) of the same gauges (45/65/85/105). I found the Hi-Beams to be more flexible, have a more balanced sound, and they lasted longer. I used to use D'Addario for EVERYTHING (since 1976) and I used their stainless (XLS-570), original nickel Half Rounds (HR-72), nickle rounds (EXL-165) and my favorite strings of all time, the SloWounds - as well as their guitar strings. I just found I tend to like the DR Hi-Beams or Sunbeams (nickel with a round core) better.

* In the '80s Ernie Bal was D'Addario's west-coast warehouse, EB didn't own a string making machine, their plastic envelopes were identical to D'Addarios, but much different from GHS and GHS-made string with other brands, while identical to other D'Addario-made brands, they both introduced phosphor bronze acoustic stirngs at the same time, both advertised the advantages of a hex core, and both had standard bass set gauges that were different from almost every other maker. For example, D'Addario and EB both call the regular medium gauge bass set 50/70/85/105. Both called a light set 45/65/80/100, and they eventually came out with a 45/65/85/105 set but called it either "Light Top/Heavy Bottom" (D'Addario) or "Hybrid Slinky" (EB).

I've been told that they own their own string machine now, so they might be using round cores now, but I wouldn't bet on it.

jte

14. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I had great experiencies with both round and hex. I dont think any is empirically better than the other, its a matter of taste.