Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RUBEN!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hey all, I caught a real scorcher on Sat night, the french CBC were busting out a live recording of The Spanish Harlem Orchestra (Ropeadope Records) live at the Montreal Jazz Festival 2005, and whoa! these guys smoke live! Ruben Rodriguez who holds bass chair is a major heavyweight amongst latin bassists around today, his teacher was the great Victor Venegas and main influence was the great Bobby Rodriguez, he plays in that style rather than the more percussive style of Cachao.... the stuff makes you dance non-stop too.

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    That was truly an awesome show. I think they performed twice. Was the concert on the show outdoors or indoors? I only caught the last half of the outdoors show.

3. i'm pretty sure they played the outdoor show, it was about an hour and 40 min long w/no commercials, I popped a tape in the stereo to record it all, but the tape craped out on me, but every Saturday night they play some great live stuff, the week before was "Yerba Buena" who played an equally intense show, these guys are phenomenal, they covered all kinds of territory, mambo, cha cha cha, boogaloo, funk, guaguanco, etc... great stuff, i'm gonna start taping these shows every week.

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Quebec has some quality TV programming for sure. I caught this flamenco guitarist on the tube one afternoon, and a really excellent jazz combo at another point. I have no TV at home, so I'm not sure if the equivalent station exists in my area.

5. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Thanks guys, can I get a copy?

Easy,
    RR

6. Hey Rodriguez, glad to hear you dig this stuff as much as I do, I unfortunately didn't get to record it as my tape crapped out, if your really serious about getting a copy contact CBC Radio 102.5 in Quebec (google it to find website) and ask them for it

7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    RR, I only saw the show live. Here's a link to CBC.

I found a reference to the Spanish Harlem Orchestra by choosing culture | musique | Montreal region | and then changing the month to July, but the link didn't work.

I also found this reference for ordering transcripts:

http://www.cbc.ca/services/tapes_tr.html

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ruben?, Is that you? RR? I spoke to Sal awhile ago.. Hows things in the Apple?

9. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Yes Ken, how are you? Everything here is good, a little slow but that's OK. Sal loves his new KSB, and to be honest, I might be calling soon myself, so .... 'til then .... Adios.

Regards,
    Ruben Rodriguez

10. Hey Ruben! i'm starting to think you are Ruben Rodriguez of SHO ? if so I feel a weeee bit stupid :meh: nice to meet you and totally dig your playing

Much Respect

11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Yup, I saw him on TV the day he recieved it playing the Latin Grammys.. He looked and sounded great. It's been years since I have seen him and almost as long for you. I hear Victor is ill, Andy had some foot trouble and Cachao is as old as time. If you run into any of the old M&A crowd, give them my regards. If you know Victors friend Walter Oyola, we just repaired his 1980 Smith.

Take care.. regards, Kenny

Attention, only my old OLD friend get to call me Kenny!! lol