1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rumble 200 combo vs head and 115 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bwinger, May 23, 2020.

1. bwinger

bwinger

Jan 30, 2018
    Hi everyone. I have a Rumble 200 combo with the matching 112 extension cab.

I really like the tone with the extension cab added, enough so that I am no longer thrilled using the combo alone. By itself I suppose I find the combo a bit boxy, although I did like it before I picked up the extra cab.

I have been thinking of selling off both of these and picking up a Rumble 500 head and 2 of the 115 cabs. Looking for a second 112 is also an option, but of course those are harder to find now.

I guess I'm looking for tone comparisons between the 115 extension cabs and the 15 in the smaller boxed combo.

Any experience is much appreciated!

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I would post your question in the Fender Rumble Club and get the exact answer you need:
    Fender Rumble Club

Lots of information in there - I am almost positive this question was asked and actually answered in there. Google is your friend: you can search for a few key words and type "talkbass" at the end of it and you might find it faster. Good luck!

MCF, Youngspanion and Polish Thunder like this.
  3. bwinger

bwinger

Jan 30, 2018
    I'm very familiar with google, but have not had any luck finding an answer that actually compares the cabinet sizes, not even in the 41k posts in the Fender Rumble Club. Lots of stuff for 200 vs 500 or 115 vs 210, but that's not what I'm asking.

I can ask over there, but didn't want my question to get buried in all the cross talk.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I understand your concern about your post getting buried. I have had that happen in the Spector club before. However, that is the most knowledgeable group on Talkbass and you should at least try. Lastly, I usually tell people to avoid combos and go straight for separates. Separate heads and cabs almost always sound better, are much louder, and you end up with more flexibility.

What size speakers does your combo have?

5. bwinger

bwinger

Jan 30, 2018
    The extension cab has the same 15 inch speaker and tweeter as the combo. The box size is the main difference between the two. I can imagine this leading towards a bit more low end in the extension cab, which I'm not sure I really need.

Being able to mix and match other heads and cabs would be nice too - I do have an Ampeg pf800 and an Avatar 410 cab as well.

6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I bet that will be a nice upgrade but I would go for the Rumble 800 head. Main reason is that is has both a Pre and Post DI. With that amount of power, there may be situations where you want the pre-DI to keep the man out front happy.

Ggaa and Gearhead17 like this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Why not 500 head + 410 cab ?

SwitchGear likes this.
  8. bwinger

bwinger

Jan 30, 2018
    I like the sound now with the 15 in the combo combined with the Rumble 112 cab. I'd like to stay in the same ballpark tone wise.

I'm really just wondering how the 15 performs in the combo vs the larger extension cab.

Yahboy likes this.
  9. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't think 15'' + 12'' combination is good.

10. Ggaa

Ggaa

Nov 26, 2018
    I'm using one or two GK 115s with a Rumble 200 head, much better sound and versatility than the combos imho.

11. bwinger

bwinger

Jan 30, 2018
    Fender designed Rumble v3 112 extension cab to pair with the v3 200 combo and they sound fantastic together. I would agree generally that mixing 15s and 12s isn't the best idea, however this isn't my concern here.

I believe the 115 extension cab came out later. I suppose I could make a guess that the larger box was considered an improvement over the combo size for this particular speaker, but I have also heard it was designed to pair with the 410 cab.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 10:42 AM
  12. nilorius

nilorius Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    That is what you heard, 15'' is not the the same as 10'' or 12''.

13. bwinger

bwinger

Jan 30, 2018
    My concern has nothing to do with mixing 12s and 15s.

How about I ask this way - has anyone moved from the Fender Rumble 200 combo to the 200 head and 115 cab? How does the tone differ?

westrock and Rip Van Dan like this.
  14. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Hey hey, over the last year and a half I've gigged the Rumble 200 by itself, Rumble 200 + a Rumble 1x15, and a Bassman 500 + Rumble 1x15.
    My opinion, the Rumble 200 alone is killer. I believe it's the low and high mid controls that make it shine. Something that the the Bassman heads don't have...
    When I joined the current band I'm in, Raindeer, the singer had a Rumble 200 combo. I tried it and was blown away. At the time (~3 years ago) I was making a "comeback" to gigging and was running an Aguilar TH500 + SL112 cab (wasn't me). I was always a 70's SVT into a 1x15 or 8x10 kind of guy, but wanted something smaller and lighter that I could move myself.
    I sold the Aguilar rig and bought the 200.
    Due to aesthetics, I snagged a Rumble 1x15. It looked great and sounded great, but there was something intriguing about the Bassman 500 head (500 watts, great looking, 17 lbs). I bought one and realized the tone of the 200 was simply better, but I rolled with it anyway.
    I now have the Bassman 500 (for sale), Super Bassman and 2 Rumble 1x15's. I'm leaning towards picking up 2 Bassman Neo 15's to go with the Super and will most likely gig that (whenever we're out of Coronavirusland ... 2030?).

TL;DR, Rumble 200 combo slays and watch the videos :roflmao:.

Here are some examples for ya (use headphones):
    Rumble 200:

Rumble 200 + Rumble 1x15 cab:

Bassman 500 + Rumble 1x15 cab
    :

The bass I'm using (64P) recorded direct (through an Avalon M5 - if you want a direct sound reference):

Hope that helps!
    Hit me with any questions you have.

15. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    I'm sure it would be almost identical.

bwinger likes this.
  16. Combo - you get what you get. Might be able to add an extension cab. Amp/head - you have the ability to switch out one or the other as well as possibly add if you need to cab wise. I always try to find what I need in a amp/cab setup, I get it though - a lot of great combos out there and usually makes load in and out a little easier as it's all one piece.

17. What genre(s) of music do you play? What does your band consist of (instruments and gear). That will help us help you

18. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    A few years ago I bought 3 x v3 cabs to demo for 30 days with the idea of keeping two:
    2 x 115 and 1 x 210.
    I understand that cone size does not necessarily determine the frequency response, but I found that for whatever reason, these cabs followed the stereotype. The 210 did not seem to have the “full” bass at the lower range as the 115, but the upper registers were more shimmery and present on the 210. I tried the cab combinations in different rooms, tweeters on/off, and different basses. I was using a GB Shuttle 6.0 and Mesa 400+ at the time.

I ended up sending back a 115, and keeping a 115 and 210. My preference would normally be not to mix cabs, but this combo worked best for me. I gigged those cabs with the Shuttle for 3 years before eventually upgrading. I think the 115 handles 300 watts rms and the 210 is 350 watts rms, so they are well matched power wise too with the 600w Shuttle. And they sounded really good live.

Sorry no experience with the 112 but hope this helps.

bwinger likes this.
  19. bwinger

bwinger

Jan 30, 2018
    Yeah, I don't really plan on keeping the 112 if I decide to upgrade to 2x 15s.

I'm just not sure if what I'm hearing now (that I like) is due to the added 12, the amp running at 4 ohms, the extra height or something else.

20. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    One thing to consider, is that adding cabs (that are sonically compatible) always “opens up” the sound, IME. Any combination of two was better than one. And at one point, I connected all 3 to the Mesa and that was best!

bwinger and MCF like this.