Sad day in the NHL :(

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Great, we have teams from Florida of all places winning the cup. That puck was over the line in game 6, Calgary really should of won it. I guess this is a good example of how sad the NHL has become in recent years. This kind of reminds me of 99' when Dallas "won" the cup. Bret Hulls foot was in the crease, but i guess the league dosn't like to enforce rules in the finals.

Look at those fans in Tampa, they don't even know what to do, they don't know hocky!
  2. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Isn't it a little odd that a hockey team's based in Florida, anyway?

I mean, when I think of Florida, I think of all the things that go on in Carl Hiaasen books. Not Hockey.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Exactly. No one in Florida is gonna even care.

Just because we're in Florida doesn't mean we can't have a hockey team.

...and you don't know how to spell hockey.

What does "Look at those fans in Tampa, they don't even know what to do" mean? You know what we do in Tampa? We root and cheer for our team!

Edit by Jazzbo. I understand that the comment made toward Florida hockey was inappropriate, but try and keep it clean when retorting. Thank you.
  5. We had nearly 20,000 people in the Times Forum and almost as many outside. And those were just the people at the St. Pete Times Forum.

I don't understand why no one thinks Tampa has the right to have a team or that no one cares. It's just an elitist arrogant pride that a number of you seem to have.
  6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    heh, you people havn't even had a team for a decade. The cup belongs in Canada...or at least more northern cities.

I mean if a team deserves it then i will give them credit. But lets face it, Calgary won game 6. The leauge just messed up again and didn't make the correct call. Yet another tainted cup victory. But then again who cares, boring series anyways. Lowest ratings in finals history.
  7. It's just like how those damn yanks ruined NASCAR! :mad:

;) :D
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Nascar probably gets better ratings then the 2004 NHL finals. I would bet on that!
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love the northern jealousy that strikes whenever a sunbelt team wins Lord Stanley's Cup!:D
  10. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think of death metal, myself. And Gard.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, and where did all of the Lightnings players come from? Are they all Florida natives? Exactly. Same as any other team. As Bruins fan I have to say quit ya whining. :rollno:
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think of Bloodlet. and Death (the band).
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Funny me too!! All the early 90's death metal. Death, Deicide,Obituary etc.
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I think of bad drivers, worse roads, and Disney World.
  16. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    If it so belongs in Canada why hasn't a Canadian team won in 10 years? And I dont even remember the team disputing about the puck being over the line in game six... nobody on the ice or in the benches noticed... nobody did until they watched it over on playback.
  17. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan

Actually there were over 22,000 inside the building alone, once again setting a record for the building. Plus the crowd outside as well.

Don't hate the team just because of their residence. Tampa is a DAMN good hockey team and deserves the cup. They play a fast exciting brand of hockey, and this was one of the greatest finals i've watched in years. Calgary was an incredibly hard working team. Much like the Ducks ala last year. They weren't expected to make the playoffs, weren't expected to win any of their series', yet still took it to 7 games in the stanley cup finals.

Tampa Bay is really breaking out of that expansion label. Last year they started making a name for themselves, now the hockey world knows what a strong team they are.

Sure the ratings may have been horrible in the US, but I got much enjoyment out of these playoffs. I just hope there'll be a season next year now.
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Where have you been?

About 10 years back, there was this trivia question(on ESPN?)-
    "Which State has the most PROFESSIONAL hockey teams"?
    If you said "Minnesota"...guess what-
    At that time there were ZERO Professional hockey teams in Minnesota.
    The answer was Florida. At the time there were, perhaps, a dozen or more Professional teams in the 'Sunshine State'.
    BTW, Professional = NHL, IHL, ECHL, & something they had called the Florida Sunshine League.
    I don't know about you but I like seeing shorts & tube tops in the the sheer T-shirts, ya know with the chill in the air & all. Hi-Beams City.

IIRC, Texas was #2.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...cause it was KICKED IN!
    I know critics will say "kicked unitentionally".
    I haven't heard any comments by the Calgary players. That's hockey, I guess.
    I am surprised it didn't go to review.

IMO, it was a great series. Neither team deserved to be on the losing side.
  20. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I was pulling for the Flames (along with the rest of Canada) but let's face it, the better team won. It was MUCH more entertaining than last year's New Jersey/Anaheim snoozefest, that's for sure.

It was nice to see Dave Andreychuk finally holding the Cup after 22 years in the league. :)