1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky and Cocobolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yvon, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    You might know that cocobolo is my favorite wood.
    And as far I know this is the first Sadwosky with a cocobolo top.
    Put a maple fingerboard on the thing and it is amazing!

[​IMG]

2. I think it's amazing enough as it is. I like the whole colour-scheme. You don't think that a maple board would look a little over the top on that body?

3. I like Sadowsky, but I'm not really feelin' that one.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    That Coco Bolo is beautiful! That is one of my favorite woods. I had an Alembic with a top like that.

5. thefunkelastic

thefunkelastic

Oct 23, 2007
    add a birdseye board to that with or without pearl inlays and I agree it would be amazing (even more amazing)

6. It needs an unmarked Pau Ferro board....with nice figuring. That whole package would be truly amazing.

Jay

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    maple board will make it look cheap IMHO...

8. I actually agree about the maple fingerboard. As much as I love Sadowsky's, the fancy wood models with a dark board make that 'traditional' Fender headstock look very out of place to me (especially if the fancy top is also dark wood). It always looked like someone took a high end boutique, sawed off the headstock, and glued a Fender headstock on.

Of course, pure personal opinion there. A maple board results in a much more integrated look on the 'fancy top' Sadowsky basses, and results in the headstock not seeming so 'out of place' IMO.

9. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

You mean like this?

cocobass.

Sure is purdy.

10. I like that A LOT! I'd get rid of the top dots on the fretboard for a cleaner look, since so much is going on with that beautiful body wood.

11. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Shazaam!

cocobass2.

If only building basses were that easy. ;)

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

That cocobolo is gorgeous ! :)

13. Better.

14. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    That's truly amazing the way it is!

15. adge

adge

Jun 8, 2006
    sydney, australia

hey Zac (or any other photoshop experts)

any chance of seeing that with J pups rather than the existing humbuckers?

thanks in advance...

and that cocobolo looks amazing...:hyper:

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Perfect!
    Thank you

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +1

18. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

I gots to get me some PhotoShop skillz...I may have some work for you doing bicycle frame paintjob mockups in the near future!

Back on topic: I love cocobola (my Modulus Quantum-6 SPX has a cocobola top), I love maple neck/fingerboards on certain basses, & I love Sadowsky 5-strings (there's one on my wish list), but somehow this whole package isn't working for me aesthetically. I definitely don't like the maple fingerboard w/ the cocobola, but I also see how the maple headstock looks a bit conspicuous w/ the darker fingerboard & body wood.

Yo Zac, howzabout PhotoShopping a cocobola headstock veneer?

19. Can you make the headstock match the body - lighten the color of the logo and change the tuning pegs to Chrome?

20. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Nah. I won't go that far. Don't have the time right now. I was just helping out Kjung real quick.

Here's the headstock.

cocobass3.

I'm out.