Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky hardshell case vs. gig bag??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Dec 12, 2004.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I have a Sadowsky NYC coming soon, and am trying to decide on the hard shell case vs the gig bag. Normally, this is a no brainer, but their gig bag is really nice based on the pics on their website and the comments I've heard from everyone.

Does anyone have any comments or points of comparison of the two?? Pics of the hard case would be much appreciated.

Would you feel safe flying with the hard case??
    Would you feel safe with tossing the bass (in gigbag) around constantly in and out of the car going to lots of gigs and rehearsals?? My bass tends to be in and out of my car, getting bumped around, at least once every day, and I am a little scared that the gig bag won't be robust enough.

Anyway, thanks all.

2. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Doesn't the NYC Sad include a hardshell case? At least my Metro did.

If I where you, I would get both;)

3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    If i laid down some serious cheese on a bass i would keep in in a hardshell. why not?

4. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    The "softshell" I got with my Metro wasn't really what I'd call a gigbag. It's actually pretty rigid and protects my bass very well. But then again, it IS a Sadowsky and therefore never travels in the bay of the bus like the rest of the guitars and basses. She has a nice place reserved in my bunk.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I LOVE my UltraLite case but I only use it for storage whrn the bass is not being played or hanging on my wall.

I prefer gigging with a double gigbag. with both double gigbags I own, I able to have my main & backup bass & everything I need besides my amp.

I know a few people that use the UltraLite as a flight case but after about a year or so, they'd have to be replaced becasue the outside shell is not made for the wear & tear of Air travel. aka: airport employees playing football with your bass. :)

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Like Nino, the ultra lite case is just great, but I tend to use it more for storage and use a double gig bag for jobs. If I were to use the ultra lite in an "ATA application", I'd put it inside another case, or box.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    HARDSHELL!!!!!!!!!!!! don't be crazy!

try and find a smaller hardshell. the hardshell that came with my musicman it a tank and it takes up a lot of space. the hardshell that came with my fender is very slim and easy to carry around and store it tight places.

8. I ditched by hardshells years ago. I only use gig bags that I ordered with my Sadowsky instruments: single and doubles. I've flown quite a bit and even lost battles with the airline extremists having my gig bags loaded with luggage. No problems ever. Maybe I'm lucky but there's no way I'd use a hardshell. I find them too cumbersome.

9. I wasn't aware that Sadowsky offered an actual "hard" shell case.. I got my NYC with a very nice heavy padded rectangular case with condura or some kind of material. It's the one that is always shown here when one is being displayed or for sale. My MV4 came in a similar but not as thick and not a full body/neck bed. I did buy one of the Incases from Sad and I'm really impressed with it. Great storage and very nice protection all though it's as much a bag as a case. The carrying system is second to none with very well made shoulder staps and intelligent handles on the side and back. I highly recommend this Incase for regular transport. The original case would be the only way I would ship or travel in the air or bus with my bass.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You have indeed been lucky to have flown with your bass in the luggage compartment, without damage yet without the protection of a hardshell case - let alone without the safety of an ATA-approved flight case. For your sake, I hope your luck doesn't run out...

MM

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    What is the deal with a ton of these "High end" bass builders going the gigbag route? Screw gigbags. Hardshell ATA is the only serious choice.

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'd think because even though most of these players can afford/need a bass of that expense (say...above 2k) they do not need a ATA case of corresponding cost. Honestly, unless you're in a full-time, "road-traveled" or "flying out" gigging band I can't see how the benefits of an ATA case would "outweigh" (pardon the pun) the negatives (the high cost/weight/mobility) for protection that simply isn't needed. I also think when people such as yourselves hear "gigbag" they think of the low-end "Guitar Center"-type models. A quality Levy's or Incase isn't even in the same league, it's another sport.

On my GAS list once I start gigging again is a good quality double bag (the Incase Dub looks mighty sweet) as I'm rebuilding my rig around portability and weight, and hauling two full-sized cases, not even to say ATA-approved, is simply an expenditure I don't see myself needing.

"The only serious choice" is the one which fits your needs, simply put. For most of us, buying an ATA case would be like purchasing a F-Bass for bedroom practices only.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I hate cases. They are too big, cumbersome, heavy. I gig constantly and use a gigbag only. I used an Undercover double bag for a long time. My latest bag is the Incase Sadowsky gigbag I got with my Metro. Awesome. Superior protection, tons of storage, small, etc. Fits in the front seat of my car or blazer along with a couple bags of equipment and clothes. Leaves the back of my vehicles clear for bigger things(amps, lights). Wouldnt use a case if you put a gun to my head

Rob

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This thread is now officially a Sadowsky thread. :D

15. hahahaha :D

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What does the cost of the instrument have to do with what you carry it in?

:meh:

I do a lot of local gigs. The only thing an ATA case would do is tear up the interior of my car;)

Then again it could also bang into things much harder than a gigbag, including my leg.

Unless "serious" means fly everywhere or let someone else toss your stuff into a truck.

I've never been clumsy enough to need a hard shell case for local use when I carry my stuff myself.

17. Nino, I love you! :D

18. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

I love it when someone says never and then something happens that they didn't expect. It's priceless.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i hear tell that sadowsky buys his cases and gig bags from a 3rd party and then turns around and charges hand made prices for them!!!!!!!!

20. Get out!!!!! :eek: