1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sadowsky - Maple vs Rosewood Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by imandan, May 9, 2006.

1. imandan

imandan

Apr 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Any Sadowsky owners notice a big difference in sound between the maple and rosewood necks? I'm looking into a M5. Thanks.

2. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    hey man,
    do a search. i bet there are 10 different threads on this. this thread seems to pop up every couple of weeks.
    good luck,
    mark

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My MS5 is much brighter than the RS5's, but that's about it. Both basses have "it".

4. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Got an M5-24 in my future as well...

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you are talking about metros other than the UVs, then remember that its actually pau ferro/morado ... not rosewood. I noticed that my RV5 was very bright, and have read elsewhere that morado is actually a fairly bright sounding wood.

What I'm getting at, is you should really base your decision on which body wood you want. Alder vs. Ash is a big difference.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Pau Ferro is brighter then you might think , I would recomend a VTC if you feel you need to darken and warm things up.

7. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    IMHO, the difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard is much greater than the difference between an alder or ash body. Also, Morado is rosewood---Bolivian Rosewood to be exact. There are many different rosewoods. Morado is not brighter than Brazilian Rosewood but it is brighter than East Indian Rosewood, which I don't particularly like.

Roger

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I stand corrected!

So what wood is on the rosewood UV70? I love mine, and it sounds and responds quite different than my RV5 did, even unplugged. I chalked that up to the Ash body, which is what I was basing my comments on.

9. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've had the chance to be able to pick up and play multiple exact basses. No 2 sounded exactly alike.

Play a Maple board bass with flats and a Rosewood board with Steel Rounds wounds. Which is gonna sound brighter?

Play a maple passive bass with the passive tone rolled off and a rosewood board bass with the tone full on. Which is gonna sound brighter?

Play a Maple board bass over the neck pickup and a Rosewood board over the bridge pickup. Which is gonna sound brighter?

The tone is in your hands. :)

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Bastard! Great point. Find what works for you. I like maple, ebony and Morado. I don't like Rosewoods.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Unfortunately we can't chop our hands off and switch them for better ones

13. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    I stand corrected in that it is not a "true" rosewood---meaning a member of the Dalbergia family. But two of its common names are Bolivian Rosewood and Santos Rosewood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalbergia

Roger

jreynolds2159 likes this.
  14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Cool. I never knew that Pau Ferro/Morado was commonly referred to as Bolivian Rosewood or Santos Rosewood.

Whatever it is called, I love the stuff.

Thanks Roger. :bassist:

15. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Interesting quote, I always thought it was the other way around.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Do the metros (for example..my R5/24) use pau ferro, or actual rosewood? I just looked at the site and it says "rosewood". Either way, I like the material a lot!

17. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    We use Morado (Pau Ferro) as our default rosewood for both the Metro Line and the NYC Line.

On the NYC Line, we offer Madagascar rosewood and Brazilian rosewood as premium options.

18. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have always preferred maple boards. Before I ordered my Metro, I did some research (mostly here on TB). I ended up buying an RV4 (morado) and I couldn't be happier. It's plenty bright and punchy for fingerstyle and slap (IMHO). I'm glad I ordered the optional Vintage Tone Control to mellow it out some. I have never played a Sad with a maple board, so I cannot offer any comparisons.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Thanks Roger! I thought that may be the case, as the board on this R5/24 looks a bit different than any other rosewood board I've had. It seems smoother to the touch, and a bit brighter sounding, not unlike ebony (in feel, rather than looks). Anyway, I like it!