Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sadowsky modern 24f

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maurilio, Jul 11, 2004.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey guys,
    I`m about to order a Sadowsky metro 5, but I can`t decide which one.
    I really like the standard, but I was wondering about the "modern" one. I`m not a fun of EMG, but since Roger has switched to soapbars....
    Aside the "blind tests" here at TB, do you have oder soundclips and descriptions/review?
    I`ll appreciate any information and comment.

Many thanks fellow musicians!

Mo`

2. BOTTOM LINE: Try both and return one. Unless you have the bread to get both now.

Some folks here swear by the vintage jazz and other's swoon over the 24f Modern.

I prefer the Sadowksy jazz, have a Sadowsky PJ too, and it's only a matter of time before I get a Modern. But if I had to pick one it would be my Sadowsky jazz.

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Thanks jimS,
    what`s in the jazz that you like vs. the modern?

Mo`

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I recently had the chance to try both a traditional style and a 24F out, although both examples were older versions. They were both great basses, but I thought the traditional Jazz style had the edge in the sound department. The EMGs in the 24F seemed to dominate the sound too much. Whether the newer Sadowsky soapbars would have the same effect, I don't know. I own 2 four string Sadowskys, both with the typical Sadowsky Jazz pickups, and that was the sound I was looking for, and the traditional style had it.

5. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    What kind of music do you play and what kind of tone are you after? They both sound quite different...

6. I just love a killer J bass slap sound. Despite the cliched Marcus Miller tone, I think it's a great tone. Keeping the pickup blend in the middle and bringing my thumb down on the end of the fingeboard....swoooooon. And the J bass is very versatile albeit so is the 24f Modern.

7. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Ari,
    I play a lot of different style, from jazz to rock to country, latin, blues...
    I like a warm sound, but I like when it`s punchy and it cut through the band. Not boomy, but well defined and tight. I have a 4 string wormoth alder/braz-rose. with sad pups and onboard preamp. I really like it, but I play most of the time favouring the bridge pup and pumping up the bass on the preamp. You have a idea...kinda modern with a vintage hint.

Thanks guys.

Mo`

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You really cant go wrong with any Sadowsky ;) . When i play a new 24 fret Sadowsky with the new Sadowsky Soapbars i here a very full round modern tone, you can really do alot with the tone with the controls. Sadowsky J pick ups are like J pick ups on steriods just some sweet tones. :bassist:

9. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I've had the chance to play both Sadowsky Modern V's with the EMG's/the Sadowsky soap bars.Both of them sounded awfully nice but the one with the Sadowsky soaps" had a fuller tone IMO,however niether of these basses had the vintage tone of a Jazz with the single coils so if it is the vintage type Jazz tone that you're looking for then maybe you may want to stick to the traditional type Jazz bass with the single coils but nonetheless the 24 fret Sadowsky is an incredible instrument both the NYC and the Metro.YMMV.

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Thanks hands5,
    I`m not after a real vintage sound, I like it but I`m looking for something more modern, punchy, defined... a mix of both.

Mo`

11. MAJOR METAL

Sounds like a 24 fret Sadowsky with Sadowsky Soapbars is in order :bassist: .

12. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    :D

uhmm.... I think it`s gonna be a Metro 24... :( money, money, money :rollno:

Mo`

13. MAJOR METAL

Sounds Great :bassist: , now you just have to pick a finish and wood combo.

14. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Yeap!
    ash/maple, this for sure. Also because I want something different from the alder/rose that I already have.

About the finish, this is the problem... I saw the black one on the Sadowsky`s web... mmmmhhh!!! I like very much the `59 burst, tho!

....how many "troubles" in this life! :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

Mo`

15. MAJOR METAL

If you want to see the great grain in the Ash on these basses, i would reccomend the 59 burst i have a Sadowsky in the color it is awsome or the trans blue.

16. MAJOR METAL

Or you could get Natural, nothing getting in the way of the grain their.

17. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've never even seen a Sadowsky in person. But they're on my list of basses I'd really like to try.

He does make some beautiful instruments.

18. MAJOR METAL

He sure does, I hope you get to try one soon.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hi!

They are both great basses. The vintage jazz is going to give you a tone similar to a tradition jazz but more hifi with Roger's preamp. The 24 fret has soapbars placed in different positions in the body. You will not get the tradional jazz tone. You'll get a modern tone. Depends on what you are looking for. I own a 21 fret 5 and a 4. I've owned 9 other Sadowsky's including 2 24 fret models. They are awesome but I prefer the true jazz tone. Roger's pre makes up for any "thinness" you may experience.

Rob

20. MAJOR METAL

The pick up placment is really great on this bass, you can get alot of diffrent tones with it.