1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky Pickguard Color Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KJung, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Hello guys. I'm kind of a noob on this pickguard stuff. I just changed my order for my maple neck Sadowsky J from a standard with fancy top to a more 'classic' looking Vintage with swamp ash and 59 burst (I just like a more classic look with the J style instruments and the pickguard provides a better feel to me between the G string and body when slapping). I'm keeping the single coil spec and the birdseye board to make it at least a little 'special':D

Anyway, I'm trying to decide on the pickguard and am having a hard time seeing the difference between 'mint' and parchment on the photo's. Also, I've seen discriptions of white/black/white, and three ply parchment, etc.... they all look pretty much the same to me on the pictures!!!!!

Most of the 59 maple neck models seem to have mint guards, and they look OK to me... but I just would like some opinions and guidance from you J bass and veterans.

So, I'm leaning toward mint, since that's what seems most paired up with the 59 burst... but does 'mint' have a green tint or something?... that seems weird to me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Here's the basic look of the bass (mine with be a 5 string with birdseye board). This picture has the mint guard, which looks good to me.

[​IMG]

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not tort? check my last PM.

4. I have a tort guard on my Olympic white/rosewood board RV5 and it looks awesome.

I REALLY dislike tort guards on basses with somewhat dark finishes though... like the 59 burst.... or basses with fancy tops.... too much going on IMO.....pure personal preference though.

5. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Will they do a vintage or cream perloid? That might look good aswell.

6. I love perloid for solid colors (as you can see from my avatar).

I'm pretty much decided on some sort of 'solid white-ish' guard, but really need to understand the differences between the various versions... primarily mint and parchment... they look identical to me on the Sadowsky site pictures.

I have a feeling there is an 'historical connection' between the 59 burst and the mint guard, probably explaining why every 59 burst on the site has a mint guard. If that's the case, then I guess that's the decision.

I would still enjoy a 'white/off white' pickguard tutorial though:)

7. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Have you considered argyle? I hear they go over "Big" on those corporate gigs! :)

8. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Mint all the way, very light green tint but looks better than plain white and less garish than pearoid. I think the one in the picture is perfect.

My ESP has a slightly darker mint guard than the Sadowsky above but it really works, IMO.

[​IMG]

9. Hah! :p

Hey, how's the new rig.... time for a thread, picture and review over on the other side IMO:hyper:

10. That helps... seeing it against the bright white bass (that's a beauty by the way.... nice and mojo'd and broken in).

Thanks!

11. My buddy Wilbyman just mocked up a 1/2 tort guard look for that bass (or found a picture on the web... not sure). It actually looks VERY nice (although I'd go with a full guard). Hmmmm.... well I have 6 months to decide I guess:meh:

Thanks.

Edit: I've seen the 59 type burst with rosewood neck and tort guard (which I guess is a classic look), but it's just not enough contrast for me... kind of too much 'brown'. There are also Sadowsky's with burst type finishes, fancy maple tops and tort guards on the site, and that is way too busy for me... to many 'design elements' that seem to clash (again, pure personal taste here). However, the burst with tort and the maple board works quite nicely.

However... from some PM's and the above... I think it's Mint for me on this particular bass. Maybe I'll order a tort guard just to have that option.

12. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Maybe just get a couple of different ones? After all, whats another $30 bucks when you are spending Sadowsky money, then you can change your look whenever you want or as your tastes change.

13. RudeMood

RudeMood Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Good point. I would vote for mint for the classic.vintage look.

14. We must have all been typing together.... great minds think alike!

Thanks!

15. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I would go with the mint...it's a classic look! I agree with you on the tort...it looks too busy on a darker colored bass to me.

16. OK... mint it is.

However:meh: ... here's another question. I am sold on a birdseye maple board... which is not particularly 'classic'.

Do you guys thing the caramel burst with the parchment guard will fit the 5 string/birdseye board vibe a little better. I like both finishes a lot.

Thanks again!

K

[​IMG]

17. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I think the vintage one is just superb. The caramel burst is nice, but the vintage one... it's an institution, a classic and I can't see it not working with the birdseye maple

18. I'm strongly leaning that way, but just in a little bit of turmoil. Thanks for the the post!

19. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I imagine it's a nice problem to have ;)

20. Keep the '59 burts, and go with the mint guard. It will look classy and classic, even eith the birdseye board.