Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SAE College.....

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by chips, Jun 30, 2005.

1. gday guys,

just wondering if anybody else here studies at an SAE college anywhere? Im about half way through my course, cert IV audio engineering/diploma of the music industry. Its really great, we get access to the 24 track studio, 18 track studio, pro tools studio, 8 track workstations and pro tools/cubase/reason/midi workstations. a bit expensive but a really good, intensive and thourough course for anyone seriously interested in recording and the music industry.

Peace :bassist:
    Chips

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I looked at doing an SAE course back in 1990 when I finished school. Back then digital recording wasn't common, Cubase was a midi-only program, and 2" tape was the norm.

It was mega expensive back then, and dad wouldn't pay for it so I missed out.

Personally I'd like to see these courses add a module for Live sound as well. I see too many graduates from these courses turn up for live sound engineering gigs, but they don't know how to tune foldback.

3. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    Pete, that sounds exactly like what i went through after finishing school at about the same time roughly. I looked at the Sth. Melbourne one, and the price was just way too much at the time.
    Also, all my friends were going to uni, and doing the SAE course didnt seem like a "real" career path. More of a hobby/interest thing if that makes any sense.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Makes sense alright. That was Dad's reasoning for not paying for it.

5. yeh its pretty damn expensive. $9000 here, more expensive over east. $13000 in byron :eek: a live work section would be good. just need to get in there and get hands on experiance i guess

6. wornoutwords

wornoutwords

Nov 7, 2004
    Didn't consider doing the TAFE sound engineering cert? my band's been recorded by sae and tafe students and i gotta say, the tafe result sounded way better.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Some of the best recordings ever made were done by guys who had no formal training whatsoever. It's easy to give the TAFE credit but there's no substitution for talent.

8. after looking at the equiptment at SAE, i really wanted to go there lol. I found out there is actually a live sound section coming up, and we have a live prac aswell. should be goood fun

9. Ok I'm gonna bump this old thread.

Any more SAE students here?
    Those who graduated from it, What are you working as now?
    Is it a solid career choice?