1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Salas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Bl., Mar 22, 2006.

1. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    NC
    Is anyone here familiar with Salas basses?

They are sold through the Bass Alone store in San Diego. The guys at Bass Alone speak very highly of Salas, and some nice instruments surely pass though their store!

I played a Salas 6 at the store last week, and I'm thinking about picking it up. Played great, sounded great.

I'm just looking for the usual independent feedback...;)

2. onomatopoeia

onomatopoeia Guest

Dec 2, 2005
    SoCal
    The Salas 6 wouldn't happen to be a neck-through with a mango top, would it? If it is, it is the one I owned for about 3 weeks. Overall, it's a great bass for it's cost. My only major gripe (and then again, maybe I'm only nit-picking) is that the wooden knobs weren't drilled spot-on, so when you turned the pots, it was fairly obvious the wooden knob centers were off-axis. A very solidly built bass that sounded as sweet as it looks. I only gave it up because I couldn't get used to the narrow string spacing; somewhere around 16mm....

3. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    NC
    Yeah, that's the one!

I don't remember anything unusual about the knobs, but maybe they had been switched out. Either way, it's a relatively cheap fix if it turns out that they bug me.

This will be my first 6-er, after years of playng exclusively 4's. So, I guess my expectations for what spacing a 6 should have are essentially non-existant. Or maybe ingnorance is bliss!

I'm really looking for an instrument to provide a bit of inspiration, get me out of a rut.

4. Darkmazda has owned a couple, I know that.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    someone call me? :p

6. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I owned one that DarkMazda had custom made. Body shaped like a Zon, neckthru, alder body, quilt maple top, basslines. It was a great bass. Only gripe was the tight string tension. A Salas is hard to beat for the money.