1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sam Wilkes could be the G.O.A.T.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by quilanthegreat, Nov 16, 2018.

1. His playing on this track in particular is perhaps the best bass performance I've heard in recent memory.

What does the community think? Am I overrating this dude?

Joshua, Oddly, Sub-hoo-fer and 7 others like this.
  2. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I’ve heard his work on Facebook and man he’s awesome !

3. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    You absolutely are not overrating him. That was a fantastic performance.

quilanthegreat likes this.
  4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    WOW... At first I'm like Um no.. This is just weird. The more I listen I really started to dig it. Now I'm on my way to find out more about these folks and Sam.

Thanks for the introducing me.

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    He's good. Busy, which is not my cuppa, but he's doing that style way better than most who attempt it. Overall I like this cover a lot.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dug that but I'm so old I had to google G.O.A.T.:D;)
    Edit: I went and watched some more on YouTube, I dug everything I saw, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I really enjoy his work with Scary Pockets, he's killer. Greatest of all time? Impossible to say. Of his contemporaries, I favor Joe Dart because I've seen him pull it off in person a half dozen times. Haven't had a chance to see Sam yet.

quilanthegreat and LBS-bass like this.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nope. Anyone alive might turn out to be the greatest of all time. Get back to me at the end of all time... Yel_wink.

As far as that one particular clip, thanks for posting it. Nice playing and they make that tune actually palatable, which is enough to make me curious about their original music, past present or future.

nixdad likes this.
  9. scdreger

scdreger

Nov 20, 2018
    Sam Wilkes is awesome (Scary Pockets too).

Also see Sam's work in Knower.

10. Yep, Sam is one to watch. His work with Knower and Louis Cole is inspirational. Great player.

11. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    ???
    N.B. Unless it's a Wilkes "one-way" FAN (only) club(???).

Here is how I see/hear it.

(It's ONLY about that particular song!!!)

Two, gifted, talented, knowledgeable and very energetic musicians - the keyboard and the bass players are having a great time playing/jamming to some rhythmo/harmonic chord progression with almost total (I did not say- TOTAL) disregard for the Melody (as some background line), while two "embellishment" brass musicians (check the EWF brass section for answers) standing as some statues/monuments.
    I have no quarrel with anybody having lots of fun when jamming. And it attracts a lot of clicks on YouTube!!! (plus subscriptions, etc...).
    I would not go to listen LIVE to their music - It's IMPOSSIBLE for my aging ears to discern so many small bass notes in a concert.
    I would not go to listen to that kind of song's interpretation as a Melody/Song fan.
    I would not listen to that kind of song cover during some wedding party - it's difficult to dance to it, or cry to it.

N.B. I totally understand their idea and desire to grab ANY song and use that song's remotely-similar chord progression as some initial point to express their pent-up energetic and cool musical ideas!

Now, shortly about that particular bass line(!).

When I have slowed down that song to hear the bass notes with my aging ears, I have reached the following opinion/conclusion.
    The bass line is, what I would call, a humorous pot-potpourri cliche collection of widely-played bass lines from the 60's, 70's with the Great Jamerson in mind, and the "what-else-could-I-add-to-my-fills" attitude.
    (The more, the better).

N.B.2. Everything I've said in this comment is ONLY(!) about that particular song, its arrangement only!

Sam Wilkes is a very talented bass player!
    I wish him the best.

LBS-bass and Andy235 like this.
  12. Andy235

Andy235

Dec 14, 2018
    Maryland
    I thought the guy was just wanking away too much. He is very good, but the bass is a bit too busy here. Leave some space.

LBS-bass and Whousedtoplay like this.
  13. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    I just found Sam. Really enjoying his work. As always Talkbass is a great resource!

14. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Never heard him before, and that video is a bit too busy for my taste but there's no doubt he can play!
    I'm gonna go check out his other stuff now...always great finding new players to listen to.

LBS-bass likes this.
  15. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    So I found “music for saxofone and bass guitar” (spelling intentional) on iTunes. Very different ambient jazz feel. Lots of room for the sax to breath, nice supportive chord work, and some fun effects.

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Nice player. Really top-tier work. Superb. Thanks for sharing and introducing him to me.

But anything GOAT — well, I just think the GOAT concept, no matter the field, suffers greatly from recently bias. (I mean, Wilt would have Giannis, Kevin and LeBron in tears... and their girlfriends swooning. ;))