Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Samick Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fattie64, Aug 22, 2005.

1. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    im looking for a new bass (cheap nothing fancy) and i ran across an unlabeled for a cheap price and the guy said it was made by samick possibly for ibanez

[​IMG]

anybody know anything about these?

thanks

2. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    anybody?

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you do a search, you'll find some info on Samick basses.

They're supposed to be the largest instrument producer in the world, sub-contracted by a number of other instrument companies to produce their stuff.

An old girlfriend of mine had a Samick, and she seemed pretty happy with it.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    They make pianos, too. We always thought Samick was a Korean word that meant "looks like piano, sounds like banjo"...

5. I have a cheap second hand Samick, and after a truss rod adjustment, it plays a treat. Best bass I've ever played (I haven't played many :) )

6. From the look of the body, the headstock and the monorail bridhe I can believe that it was made for Ibanez and I know that Samick has their own production line plus is contracted by other companies to produce instruments. The only thing that would throw me off is the electronics. They aren't really consistent for what Ibanez uses and even the monorail bridges are only used on the higher end (I believe only the Prestige Soundgears and BTB series) so in the end I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Is it possible that this could have been made as a prototype?

My first bass was a Samick. It was a transparent red Artist Series with P/J pups and gold hardware. I wish now I had never sold it.

7. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I play a Samick at he moment. Good basses.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ever since Greg Bennett was brought on board to revamp Samick's guitar and bass lines, they've improved tremendously. When I was wanting to upgrade to a sixer, one of the ones I tried was a used Samick Fairlane 6 and it was an awesome bass. Looked, sounded, and played better than basses more expensive...and had dual truss rods too. The only upgrade I did was have a Carvin flip-up battery compartment put in so I wouldn't have to unscrew the control cavity to change the battery.

The Cobra and Tabu basses are nice too. Samick may have a reputation as a "ghetto" company, but they do make some nice stuff.

I've since gone back to 4's, but the young man I sold my Fairlane to couldn't be happier.

9. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Yep. I bought it, defretted it, repainting it, never selling it ;)

10. tylytle

tylytle

Jul 15, 2005
    I have a 91 5 string Samick.Bought it new. I love it! Click to enlarge

[​IMG]

11. Interesting finish on the Samick 5er. Were they going for the zebra or cow look? :p