sammed on ebay - gi524

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by cofoss, Nov 28, 2007.

1. cofoss

cofoss

Sep 25, 2006
    italy
    sorry, do not know if this is the right place where to wite this, but just wanted to share my experience , ask suggestions and advise you about the scammer.

i saw a a modulus on ebay, i contacted the vendor and we closed a deal out of ebay 8OK, that was i very stupid thing to do, will never do that again)

i payed , but he didn't close the auction.

anyway i was quite confident because of his 100% feedback and he assured me very warmly

then it started with 45 days of waiting for money cleared, delays, shipment lost, then found, but papers to be checked, then resent, then grandma's death, then custom, etc etc

after that he disappeared. with my 1500 bucks.

so no ebay waranty, no paypal coverage (45 days are gone), just wrote to my CC for reporting the fact, i'm in waiting. then i denunciated the fact to ebay and still i'm passing them lots of info and emails, , i reported the matter to the internet police. any suggestion is very welcome

anyway just for advising you all, his ebay nick name was dukecheck, which he changed to gi524 and his paypal account was "[email protected]".

thanks guys

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Looks like he sold a Modulus recently ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280156893454

Hope this is not the one that you bought. If so, it sold to another.... It's a bit strange because the guy has perfect feedback and lots of it. I'm not saying your story is not true, it's just that this is atypical of this seller. In any case, best of luck with getting your cash back!

3. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    He doesn't have a lot of feedback - lots of people in this sort of game leave positive feedback for each other and I suspect that's the case here. Plus there's no stopping you making a hundred ebay accounts and setting up false transactions between them all for feedback purposes.

4. cofoss

cofoss

Sep 25, 2006
    italy
    that's exactly the modulus that I (thought i had) bought...

his 100% feedback was exactly the reason that made me bid and also accept to close the deal out of ebay

i think he actually sold the bass, the person that won the bid really seems like a real one (+100 feedback ). Actually i tried to contact him for getting some info about the scammer, but... no reply.

i agree on the fact that he has a short story on ebay (but he behaves like a very skilled ebayer).

anyway, what remains is a real frustration... to have been so stupid in ignoring very easy rules. and stupidity is not cheap

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you paid with a credit card, dispute it. If a cashier's check, you at least have a record of to whom it was issued and should pursue it through Ebay. If you paid cash or personal check, then I can't see much potential for remedial action.

6. Quadzilla

Update?

7. cofoss

cofoss

Sep 25, 2006
    italy
    i got a reply by ebay security, i have reported the fact and sent them the emails and references of the guy. they told me that they will proceed with the investigation and will react somehow. anyway he is still "alive" on ebay, even if he is not selling anything at the moment.
    in the meantime he sold another bass, i tried to bid on it in order to be legitimated to give him a feedback but he blocked me and i couldn't do that.
    i have reported the fact to the us internet police but still no answer , a dn finally to the credit card, they told me that it will take 2 months time for investigating and taking the decision.
    damn, i've seen quite a bunch of basses that i'd like to purchase but i'm really scared about everything now.
    let's see

8. It's good that you paid with a credit card, since you might get a chargeback. Basically, prove that you paid but didn't receive the item, and if they find out the other guy got the cash, they'll just reverse the transaction to protect you. However, it would also have helped to have Paypal on your side (<45 days) and eBay as well.

Feedback means NOTHING if you don't close the deal within it. If you settle out of eBay, the seller is pretty much free to screw you over, and there's no way you can leave him bad feedback. In a sense, there's little proof of the transaction ever occurring!

Just use Paypal, buy from very high (98.5%+ with many transactions) feedback buyers, and never close out of eBay. You'll rarely get scammed that way.

9. cofoss

cofoss

Sep 25, 2006
    italy
    ^^^well, i payed by credit card via paypal, so don't know exactly whether this will work... i have reported the scam to paypal ont hte 47th day after the payment, so i'm quite an imbecil.
    you are right about the rest

10. Quadzilla

What's his name (Paypal will list it in the transaction)? Put is name and location here and I'm sure some TBers local to the area will be more than happy to help "convince" him to give you back your money. I've seen this happen before (somebody get ripped off and then some people on the board local to the jerk help "fix" the issue). These con-artists are the scum of the earth! Takes your money and then sells the bass to another. What a P.O.S. of a human being.

11. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    I hope you find some kind of resolution on this. Last year, I was taken for $2500 on a bass sale. Boy was I ever stupid. Never got any follow through from the internet police. Had to sell off some sweet basses to save face on the homefront.

12. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    +111111 do it!

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep. I posted some info here at TB about a guy from a different forum who ripped me off for $90, and I got all kinds of PM's from TB'ers who lived by the guy offering to help me. We found the guy, and I got my money back.

Funny thing....when I posted a thread on the actual forum where I got ripped off, everyone was like "sorry dude" and no one offered to help. A few guys even said they lived within 15 minutes of the guy who ripped me off, but they didn't want to get involved in my personal business. That irritated me.

-Mike

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021