samples of bassiq & synthwah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by c-ba55, May 30, 2005.

1. Clips from a recent gig. Both are about a minute and a half bass solos, with the first 20 seconds uneffected, before I kick on the effect.
    EBS BassIQ

Digitech Synth Wah (Used as an octave, with just a little synth)

The rest of the chain is a Pedulla Rapture J-2 through Thunderfunk amp, & Aguilar GS 212 cab. Stereo recording with a pair of AKG C1000s into a firepod.
  2. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Sounds nice, but watch your timing though. Sometimes (more than one on the track) it's not exact into the measure, keep it going nevertheless!

(I need to know how I should put this in english, dammit)
  3. I think I know what you're saying well enough. I appreciate any help on the solos, since I'm new at soloing in general. But mostly, I just thought these were nice examples of effect off -> effect on while bass is prominent, so people could hear them.
  4. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the clips. I dig the BassIQ, very funky.
  5. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for sharing! Always great to hear real world sound clips of effects.
  6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Okay, it's a nice sample, no offense. I have the BassIQ myself as well and I am quite searching for a good sound for it. In the mix it works well in upmode as your mp3 shows very well, nevertheless it goes 'whoop' when I rehearse with it.... a bit of compressing afterwards helps anything.

Your solo isn't bad by the way, when it's on time it's got a groovy aspect and that's good imo. Try listening to some guitarplayers (E.g. Mark Knopfler... no... don't shoot me... he uses very nice notes!) and watch them composing solo's. On a bass it sounds even better. ;)
  7. I have the BassIQ in HighQ setting, even, to help it be more noticeable. I figure if I'm trying to sound effected, might as well go all the way. The attack is set fairly fast, although not all the way. Threshold is the whole key. I fiddle with the setting everytime I plug in. And sometimes even then, I have to readjust in the middle of a set. There's a pretty narrow band where it will do the expected thing, and outside of that, will just go whoop or zhoof, or just do not much at all.

You have to have your input volumes set where they're really going to be, and be playing as hard as you're really going to be playing, to set the threshold right. I have it in my effects loop after the preamp and synthwah, but before the EQ. The synthwah does a good job of maintaining the signal strength, so that they can be used in combination or apart. (I didn't happen to use them together that night we recorded, but sometimes I do) So I can find the threshold with the actual output set low. Amps without seperate gain/level controls, you'd have to pretty much do this at full volume.

If it's not working in the middle of a song, try playing harder or softer until you get it, and hope you can get away with that volume. Moving the plucking spot up and down the string can help find the trigger as well, without changing volume so much.