1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Sand" in my E String???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rreed, Mar 17, 2009.

1. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Still have the stock strings on my cheapy Ibanez bass I just picked up a few weeks ago. All of a sudden the E string suddenly hisses or kind of rattles(?) like it's full of sand or beads when played. It's really weird and I'm a complete noob so please forgive me for not understanding what's going on.

The sound is in the string itself though it does kind of come out of the amp a little. None of the others do it. I just noticed it a day or two ago. Don't know how else to explain it, when played the E sounds like it has sand or small beads hissing around in it.

What gives please?

2. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    How long have you had the strings on there? They do die over time. You might just need some new strings.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Bust string.

4. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    As mentioned they're the stock strings that have been on there a few weeks. :)

What do you mean by bust string? The string is busted or I should bust the string?

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The string is ruined, buy a new set, I've had the same problem in the past.

6. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    The cheaper ibanez basses come with crap strings that I would change right away. Try out some different brands, metals, wraps, and gauges till you find what you like. If you know what kind of tone you want many people here will be able to point you to a string that'll get you closer to it. Hope this helps.

7. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Thanks all, I've had my eye on a set of Dean Marley Blue Steels since before I pulled the trigger on the bass itself. Either medium or medium-lights, I'd like to tune down to B at some point but not really sure yet.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I've gotten sand in my G String when visiting St Tropez. :cool:

9. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I WIN

It sounds like the spring on the bridge is loose. Put some tape on it.

10. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    If you plan to down tune to b then I'd suggest a set of heavy gauge strings. I'd go no lighter then a 115 and even that is very light b string. It would be better to just get a 5 string set and throw out the g string for that tuning actually.

11. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    sounds like the core of the string is broken , i had the same thing happen to an E string on a set of chromes

12. rreed

rreed

Feb 22, 2009
    Arkham Asylum
    Hem-haw.. I'm currently tuned half step down for most of the thrash metal I've been playing lately. Maybe B tuning is a bit low for that plus I'm not sure they make a set of four string Blue Steels in heavy enough gauge. I know I could get a set of fives and toss the G but man I hate to essentially throw away the $5-$8 difference in price!! Maybe I'll contemplate this some more.

As far as the spring on the bridge, the saddle for my E is cranked all way back to get intonation and the spring is all scrunched up. I doubt it's loose(?).

If it makes any difference it sounds loudest further up the neck up close to the nut. Regardless I'm thinking new strings maybe sounds about right.

13. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Warwick do their black label bass strings in a 65, 85, 105, 135 gauge http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1026-warwick_black_label_bass_strings
    If you do decide to go with the B tuning , make sure you take your bass for a setup

14. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Are you sure you just aren't getting some fret buzz? It is quite possible your bridge is set a little too low, or you need to give your neck a little relief.