Sandberg California VS4 or VM4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonro, Nov 6, 2017.

1. jonro

jonro

Jun 26, 2011
    I'm planning to buy a Sandberg bass and I need help choosing between the California VS4 or the VM4. My biggest question is whether the VM4 sounds like a true P-bass with the pot panned to the neck pickup or if I should go with the VS4 to get a true P-bass sound. Any other observations that would help me to choose between the two models would be appreciated.

2. bob atherton

bob atherton

Mar 8, 2005
    This is a very good question. Two years on does anyone have any first hand experience of these two basses against each other? jonro, did you end up buying one of these? Thanks, Bob

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I had a VM4 and wasn't pleased with the P bass tone. I didn't have a VS4 to compare to though. That said, the VM4 panned to the neck pickup sounded really good. In fact, my favorite tone was with the pan toward the neck maybe 10-15% with the rear blended in. Nice and punchy.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021