Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sanding a fingerboard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassteban, Jan 15, 2005.

1. I'm sure this is covered somewhere, so forgive my not digging for it. I'm building an EUB- again, apologies- what grit of sandpaper shoud I go down to on the fingerboard? It's purpleheart, & I'm down (up?) to 800. It looks good, but not as shiny as the ebony on my DB. Thank you.

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I don't think you'll get purpleheart as shiny as ebony without finishing it- it's simply not as hard as ebony. Anyway, shouldn't a fingerboard be scraped for a final finish, rather than sanded? I defer the final word to the real luthiers out there.

3. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I have used micro mesh on my fingerboard recently. You may not be able to achieve the same gloss good ebony will give, but you may be able to get close with this stuff. They sell it in packs of various grits- 2400-12,000. It is expensive, but great results and it is reuseable. It comes with a backer and instructions.

You may also want to research mimf.com. They are an invaluable resource and free to register for their library of archived discussions.

Good luck,
    Brian

4. Thanks, guys- I got a PM on this, & sanding is OK. I finished a purpleheart FB w/watco oil before, w/good results- think I'll do it again.