1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp VT Bass + Ampeg SVT-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fatillac, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Hi Folks,

I own the VT Bass pedal (about 2 weeks now ) and I have an Ampeg SVT-CL inbound to use with my SVT 410 Hen and SVT115E.

Anyone run a similar setup? or would using the VT bass with the SVT-CL be redundant?

I like the pedal alot but if it is going to be a similar tone, I may as well refund the pedal and put that $190 Canadian towards the used SVT-CL head at $1200.

Please share some input

Thanks!

2. vit

vit

Apr 9, 2009
    I have the same head and pedal, and together they work great!
    Unlike the normal sansamp, it has an extremely wide range of tones, which are of course useful! If you don't have a CL you may try to get its tone from the pedal, combined with a SS amp... but this doesn't mean that you can't find great tones with the CL as well! :)

3. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    You could try bypassing the preamp in the head and run the pedal into the power amp in jack if you like the sound of the pedal.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Keep it. Although I've never tried a VT, I understand it does alot of different things, all very well. And, just for the record, I routinely use an EBS Valve Drive in front of my V4BH, (100 watts, all tube), and it sounds fantastic. A tube amp doesn't neccessarily make a "tube emulator" un-useful.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use my VT with a 69 SVT and a 64 B-15N. Makes a great dirt pedal that fits right in with the Ampeg sound and doesn't blow heads off.

6. Not quite the same, but I've run a sansamp BDDI into my SVT-II. Tho I never do it anymore. Definatley took away from the tone of the amp (IMO, and again, different gear).

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    A VT Bass would make a good backup for DI into a PA if your SVT-CL breaks down at a gig...

8. g13nn

g13nn

Feb 25, 2006
    Singapore
    I totally agree with you... Use the VT as backup... or you can use the VT for gigs that you would like to travel light... plug the VT to the DI and voila ;)

9. CassiusRegular

CassiusRegular

Apr 10, 2013
    Paris, FR
    Hi all,

Sorry for the digging-up !

Quick question : I've been using my VT Bass for years now and love it ! However, I recently purchased my very first Ampeg SVT CL and feel like my quest for the "TONE" is completed.

Yet, I understood some of you use them both together and I was wondering "how" ?

I gave it a try last night during rehearsal but my sound was all too muddy and/or muffled with my usual settings...I tried lowering the BASS knob and increasing the CHARACTER knob on the pedal, but didn't find any satisfying combination.

So, how do you set up you pedal (and amp) when using them both togethere, and why ? :)

Cheers

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'll use the VT as an overdrive or distortion.

One thing that irks me when using dirt is that switching from my normal tone to the dirt tone can bring about s pretty drastic change. I like my tone to get dirty...not have my entire tone get changed. In a power trip that can make a huge impact on the overall sound of the band.

The VT Bass sounds very Ampeg already...so when running it into an Ampeg I find it works really well for retaining my sound yet getting that dirt I'm looking for.

If that makes any sense...

11. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish

This makes perfect sense and I tried to do this for a while with a VTBass/Ampeg setup. After a couple of months I discovered my preferred VT Bass settings sounded exactly like my Ampeg tone without a pedal. So it became redundant. The grittier VTBass tone seemed to remove too much low end so I guess I kept dialing back the grit. So I sold the VTBass and moved on to other pedals. Pretty much found what I was looking for with Darkglass Vintage Microtubes.

12. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Jan 24, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Have you guys with ampeg cl's tried using the parallel out at the same time (on the deluxe) so you preserve your clean signal? I haven't tried it yet since I'm out of town, but I'm gonna try the parallel in the 0db input and the regular output in the -15db. Then I could use the output of the pedal to blend the signals. Anyone try this?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I never di but it could work. Give it a shot and see what you think.

14. Bluzeman90

Bluzeman90

Jan 24, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Alright, got home and hooked It up. VT bass deluxe, heritage svt with classic 810, and thunderbird. Sent the parallel out going to 0db input on svt, the pedal's regular output to the -15db input on the svt. Then ran the thunderbird into channel A. This did exactly what I've been looking for. I absolutely love the tone of my svt and t-bird, but every once in a while I need to add some grit. The pedals I've tried have all been to dirty since I'm really looking for the sound of an overdriven amp without cranking my volume. this does that very well, it can even get excessively dirty which is cool. So now I have my great unaffected sound and at the touch of a pedal I just add a dirty channel.

The hardest part was blending the channels together, you have to use the level on the pedal to add more or less dirt to the constant sound of your clean bass. It's pretty cool and I'll try to make some video

anderbass and JimmyM like this.