1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Saw a friend from high school tonight.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 14, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I graduated from high school in 1989, so it's been awhile. As I was browsing around the TV stations during a break in the NBA game I was watching, I stopped for a moment on the popular show UFC Unleashed on Spike TV. I'm not normally a fan of the brutality of this sport, but sometimes it intrigues me.

So while I'm watching, they announce the next matchup. One of the guys has the same name as a dude I went to high school with. Now, I'm really interested. This guy wrestled in high school, and college. As it turns it out.....it IS my buddy from high school. The dude is freakin' HUGE with muscles everywhere, and looks scary. He pummels this guy so bad, and then puts him in a choke hold that makes him pass out. I was amazed and scared at the same time. My friend from high school, Jeff Monson, is an ultimate fighter, and he holds all kinds of titles as the best this and that in all kinds of mixed martial arts. CRAZY!

-Mike

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Cool and weird at the same time. Is he fighting on the next PPV? Did you go to school w/him in Altoona?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, he is scheduled on the next PPV according to something I found online about him.

Not Altoona, I went to school with him out here in Lacey.

It's crazy to see that guy on TV. He has all these tatoo's and huge muscles now. He was stocky and muscular in school, but now he is like a monster.

-Mike

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I can honestly say that I know EXACTLY how you felt! I went to high school with this set of skinny, pale and platinum blonde twins named Keith and Kent. Fastforward 5 years later, I'm in the military pulling guard duty, and the sargeant in charge liked wrestling or rasslin', anyway, I hear the announcer say, "Introducing the world tag team champions, the Cole Brothers!" I laughed because they had the same last name of the guys I went to school with, so I look at the tv and HOLY CRAP! :eek: It's them, but only they ain't so pale and skinny anymore! :eyebrow: They graduated a year ahead of me.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A guy in my high school graduating class (1988) is Michael Dell's (of Dell computers) younger brother, Adam. (Michael Dell went to my high school as well, before I attended.) I saw Adam on a cover of a business magazine a few years ago (he was/is a venture capitalist somewhere). I did a double take on that! Though I'm sure he wouldn't have landed on the cover if he hadn't happened to be Michael Dell's brother. ;)

I mostly remember Adam being a wiseass (in a good natured way) to our physics teacher, heh.

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    "The Snowman"

I'd be rooting for that guy by default.

7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Wow that's much better than seeing someone you went to high school on the sex-offender list.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    My friend Clay was on America's Most Wanted once. When they caught him, he only got 3 years. I was never quite clear on what he'd done to get his 15 minutes.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It looks like my buddy has opened his own UFC training facility in my town. I think I'll head over to pay him a visit this weekend. I'm trying to remember if I ever did anything mean to him in school. :D

-Mike

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I wouldn't be surprised to maybe find a TB member or two on that same list .:eek:

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Only one or two?

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    If so, you'd be the "volunteer"! :D

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

You're right the list really does seem to be growing.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe he'll let you hawk some Xyience junk...

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Funny you mention that. When in high school, we lifted weights together a few times. At my school, we had two groups of lifters. Those who were all about supplements, and those who went all natural. Jeff and I were part of the all natural camp. I want to ask him if he started using supplements, and why so if he did.

-Mike

16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well at least your guys' high school buddy on tv stories are better than my old buddy I saw on tv.

10 years ago I was working for a company building new retail stores. They had me working down in LA, and one day after work, me and a co-worker went back to our hotel room to watch Rikki Lake. Just as she was going to commercial she said "our next guest 'Darnell' has a question to ask his special person". "No way, I know a guy named Darnell" I said to my hotel roomate. Sure enough after the commercial break, my old buddy I hung out with alot, 'Darnell' was on tv asking another guy to marry him! I was on the floor shocked and hysterical at the same time!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)

:D :D :D :D
    On the plus side, atleast he didn't look into the camera and propose to you!

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm bigger than Jeff, but I bet he could make me choke out in under 30 secinds. Scary stuff. I watched the guys face last night that he put in a choke hold, man that was freaky. He passed out cold, and when he came to, he still looked dead. He had no idea what was going on.

-Mike

19. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hey that's cool, Jeff Monson did a cool reverse guillotine thing on that show. Quite impressive.

I am a really getting into UFC it seems to be exploding in popularity right now in california. Recently they have been able to hold live shows after meeting the proper fight regulations. ..They are really trying to get away from that 90's stigma of "Human cockfigting" and turn it into a legit sport.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That won't happen. UFC is brutal. More than I can normally stand. I usually only watch for maybe one minute.

-Mike