Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Elton John Last Night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mel Monihan, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Elton opened his new tour at the Office Depot center in south Florida last night.The place was packed and Elton played many of his old favorites plus some new material.The sound at the show was less than spectacular, but I thought that all of you Stingray fans out there would like to know that his bass player (Bob Burns, I think he said) played a Stingray 5 all night as his only bass.I believe it was a blueburst with a maple neck and black pickguard.I say I believe, because I was in the nosebleed section and I couldn't tell if it was a burst or a metalflake.The band was good and the gospel group behind him was great, but I wasn't crazy about the mix, and I had all of these drunks around me singing along as they tend to do when a performer of his stature playes their favorites.

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Bob Birch is a great bassist for Elton. He's a solid, thoughtful player and on the older songs he shows full respect for Dee Murray's original parts.

He's no slouch on his five string Stingrays which he has been playing now for many years....

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Every time I see EJ on TV or whatever, I always want to get a MM Stingray 5.