Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saw Prince the other night....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by maxvalentino, Apr 2, 2004.

1. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I caught Prince on his current tour the other night, with Rhonda Smith playing bass. Incredible show...phenomenal band (very tight, very funky and very live...nary a sequence nor sample to heard all night). Prince himself was masterful, engaging, entertaining..and one helluva musician (and very much in control of both the band and the audience).

But...Ms. Smith KILLED! Absolutely stunning basswork; creative (her new rhythmic takes on "sign O The times" and "Kiss" were very cool..and tres funky!), supportive, massive sounding..and very present! One short solo spotlight was afforded her, but throughout the show her deep and engaging basswork was both felt and heard. An uncanny ability to both supply support, inject counter melodies and maintain a deep and funky groove. The show itself was like a textbook study of how powerful and fun "real" live music can be; but Rhonda's lines thru the show were a fantastic example of just how deep and inventive bass playing can be......
    .....and applied the grease to old songs like "let's work".

great show..gues I am gonna have grab that DVD everyone was raving about a few weeks ago...

Max

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Live At The Alladin, Las Vegas is a keeper!

Somewhere, I posted the basic figure to "Kiss"(based on what I heard from the VH-1 HOF show).

;)

3. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    Rhonda Smith is excellent. I'm a huge fan of his drummer john blackwell jr as well. That guy is a beast, and he puts on a great show.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I caught Prince a few years ago back when he was that symbol thingy. Any man that can solo on every instrument (including bass) in high heels earns my respect, big time.

5. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Oh man, you're killin' me! I've got tickets for 4/25 in Sunrise, FL. Can't wait!

6. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    caught prince out here in australia a few months ago.
    totally unreal the amount of musical talent on that stage.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and so many were upset when Prince graced the cover of Bass Player mag a few years back(Nov '99?).

8. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
  9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im going to be seeing him later this month. Im looking forward to learning a thing or two from Rhonda. :)

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    He needs to wear those heels....I hung out with him a few years back and he was barely up to my chin, even in his platform shoes. (and I am around 5'11")

He is a funny guy and one helluva a talent.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thanks.
    For some reason, I haven't pick that one up.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw him a couple months back........one of the tightest bands I have ever seen! Maceo....blow your horn :cool:

13. :cool: :cool:

I would LOVE to see their show!!!! As a performing keyboardist (as well as a bassist), the lack of sequencing and sampling is a huge plus in my book. Technology is nice, but getting back to the essence of true live performance is where it's at. :)

(I'm a bit guilty myself, I use sampled congas / bongos / clave / handclaps with my band, but I'm working hard to replace samples with the real thing) :oops:

:)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hmmm...the ONLY thing I don't like about the Live At The Alladin Las Vegas DVD is a loud synthetic 'clap' that seemingly appears on each & every Beat 4 of each upbeat tune.

Anyone recall those handheld 'clappers' from the '80s?

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    On the DVD, you could see John Blackwell hiting a pad with a big X on it so he wouldn't miss it........at least it was the drummer hitting it, and not a loop. John Blackwell is a badass!!

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...true, true.
    I just didn't like the 'tone' of the clap.

Although there are times when the cheesy-machine vibe is cool(when played with a real drummer).

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    too bad Rhonda is so ugly!!

I'd have her children....

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Don't know about new, but it is pretty nice. I've had "Intellipop" for 2 or 3 years now. Rhonda's playing is tight. The lyrics are "ehh" and the vocals are not very good. I usually feel the same about Victor Wooten's lyrics and singing and I have all his solo stuff. I'd rate Rhonda a half notch higher on lyrics and a full notch higher on vocals. Did I mention that Rhonda's playing is tight? I recommend getting the CD.

Peace,

James

BTW - I have tickets to see Prince June 21st. (Anticipation......Anticipation is making me wait.....et cetera et cetera)

19. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    So I just got back from seeing Prince in Sunrise, FL. All I can say is WOW!!!!

I've been to a ton of concerts, and that show definitely ranked in the top 5. I was totally blown away! I've never seen a crowd of what must have been about 20,000 people singing along and gettin' down like they were tonight.

And, as mentioned before, John Blackwell, Jr. is one SICK drummer! Prince gave him like 5 featured solos throughout the night, and for good reason. That man can play some skins!!

Sadly, Rhonda Smith only got one short feature, but Prince did say something like "Rhonda's takin' you all to school", which she did, briefly.

Long story short - if Prince comes within 4 hours of you, GO TO THE SHOW!!!!!! I promise you will not regret it!

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd give anything for two tickets to any of the MSG shows... :(