Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Saying System of a down sucks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Piezoman, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Recently(20 mins ago), I made a post somewhere else saying how bad and all that jazz I think system of a down is. I didnt say anything about their fans, I said I dont think they deserve 1/2 the credit and fans that they recieve.

I know it's just my opinion and ussually I dont even care about my own opinion, but this band truly bothers me. Am I wrong for voicing my opinion, especially online?

Also, what do you think of these fools from SOAD? I am growing up in a society where I believe most everyone has been brainwashed by this crap. Most of it is pretty bad/sounds the same/not given much thought, and I just cant appreciate it.

If I think of anything else, I'll add more. I never get more furious about anything than system of a down.

2. It's your opinion, but there are many, many people who have an opinion contrary to yours that's just as valid.

They're not my bag- but a lot of people do dig 'em.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For some reason, Nu Metal fans are often rabidly obsessed with their bands. Since their bands are popular, they assume they are good. 100,000,000 Hot Topic customers can't be wrong. Etc.

I just get pissed when they are labled as progressive/overly talented. They play more than just power chords... that makes them more talented than the average Nu Metal band... but not much more.

4. I find that after time, a lot of the bands I hated in my youth I now find amusing, & often remind me of days gone by...

(*smells like old fart*)

Also, when you 'hate' something or someone, you've just got to ask yourself: Do you find yourself thinking(albeit negatively)about said something or someone most of the time? Speculating on what you would say if you ever met, etc? Maybe you're actually in love...

:bag:

5. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I'll be honest, ive gotten obsessed with my own bands a little in the nu metal category("Tool" for one), but you cant say any of them are not good players. I appreciate the musicianship and love the sound.

Theyre not a huge huge act(while being one of the bigger ones) but they are popular for theyre talents and am happy they never really sold out musically.

I am very surprised to hear SOAD is considered progressive by any stretch? I believe theyre as basic a hard rock band as they come. Severly dropped tuning, fast playing, heavy riffs? Nothing particularly new here with not too many display's of brilliant musicianship. Yea, theyre better than most nu-metal/hard rock bands but not much in my opinion. Theyre slightly talented, well, Darren and Serj are.

I also had a conversation with a friend of mine just now reminding me of how if I were in their shoes(which I wouldnt mind being), how I would feel for some fool from new york to tell me I sucked. Which does raise a valid point. I would hate that. So, I guess I should keep my mouth shut, but I really cant see why this stuff is so huge......

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don't know why (*cough* your old) you can't (*cough* geezer) appreciate the nuances of their (*cough*old fart) deep and meaningful music? ;) :p j/k

In all seriousness, I don't really care for them myself. Their music tends to annoy me rather quickly. Eh, but thats my opinion!

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If it makes the SOAD fans feel any better, I listen to prog/stoner rock/doom more than anything (but a lot of everything else)... and a lot of my friends don't like/get/hate my music... it sounds too... old. ;)

To quote Wino from Saint Vitus: "I was born too late."

But you gotta learn to chill out... music is art... not everyone likes the same art.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What a waste of time and effort getting so mad about a band that you feel compelled to start a thread to tell everyone about it. Of all the things to get infuriated about, I think System of a Down ranks right up there with sporks in level of importance.

9. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I'll be the one taking the flames here, but we're doomed if they're the new political voice of our generation. :bag:

In terms of the music, they're versatile musicians, but as much as I, mmm..., think Candiria is okayish (just not my tastes), Candiria can blow SOAD out of the water. Where's the love for them?

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I am not a fan of SOAD but I'll admit that they can play. That automattically makes them better than alot of other bands. Their cynical attitude about life turns me off.

11. How do you "deserve" fans? The majority of their fans probably know little about music theory and in fact only like them because they like how they sound... and that's pretty much all that matters.

12. It's a matter of opinion.

P.S. They're awful.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    So true.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have never heard anyone refer to Tool as "nu metal". Opiate was released in 1992...one year after the black album...metal was still "old metal" then!

15. That's what I was thinking when I read that.

16. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    All of the bands suck. And we are all stupid for paying them to suck, so we suck to. This thread sucks. There, problem solved....................SUCK IT

17. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    That's my new sig right there.

18. Thank you Mark, I nearly fell out of my chair when I read what Peizoman wrote. TOOL happen to be on the better side of Metal, and have stayed that way since 1992.

Maybe A perfect Circle could be labeled as "nu Metal" but even still, but they arent that crappy.

Out of that whole batch of nu metal bands that started pooping up around 2000, the only ones I liked and still like are Mudvayne and SOAD. Mudvayne I love because of the superior rythem section, I could go on for hours though...

SOAD is just a really fun band. The first album was IMO their best work and is just great random in your face rock. Ok, for a while they sounded really bad live and took a huge divebomb with my interest when Steal This Album came out, but after hearing some of the new live stuff and the two new albums they have definitely "grown up" and gotten tighter as a band. No the band doesnt have any super complex songs, but does that make em bad, no.

People listen to them because they like what they hear, end of story. I will say though, I prefer listening to nu metal than ANY of this EMO, EMOCORE, Emo crapfest, poppunk, I hate my life, silly haircut, 3 chord, evrything sound the same, i cant sing if my life depended on it, music that people all of a sudden love to listen to...

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I was a RABID Led Zeppelin fan when they were together, and would have gotten into a fist fight over it. So I understand people loving their bands and being willing to defend them. As you can tell, I'm a little older. I liked Aerials, but I just didn't get the rest of that album, especially that tapeworm business. I don't hate them though, I just don't listen. My daughter loves them. My parents didn't care much for Led Zeppelin come to think of it.

20. You must be kidding. In the land of utinsils, the spork is king.

Mike