1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SB-2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by G2K, Mar 31, 2009.

1. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.
    Greetings, can someone who knows give me a quick run down on the SB-2? I see that it only offers two Volume controls, how is the natural sound of this instrument? Is there a ton of tweaking to be done at the amp? I understand that a passive instrument would only cut certain tone's but are there any tone variation with just the volume controls?
    Thanks in advance?

2. How you handle it is up to you, but this is what I do:

Start with your amp's EQ setting flat and adjust in small increments from there. This is a pretty hot bass as passive instruments go, so set your gain accordingly.

I dial in the basic onboard volume with the neck pickup; usually no more than about 80%. Then I bring in the bridge pickup to alter the tone a bit, usually no greater than the neck pickup's setting.

Adjust your controls to fine tune to taste.

The natural tone is fat, juicy, aggressive.

Ken...

3. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    This is my experience only:

My SB2 has a pretty boomy bottom. I turn down the boost on my GK 800RB amp to zero and just work with the volume knob, with everything else at 12 o'clock position. I've tried my darnest to have it somewhere close to sounding like a Fender Jazz, but to no avail. It will not provide you with clear glassy highs. It's not much of a bass for slapping. The downward slap sounds powerful, but the plucking just got no crunch nor snap, especially when compared to a Jazz. If you look at SB2 as a successor to a Precision, you'll be a lot more content. Most players treat the P-style pickup as the primary pickup and use the J-style to further shape their sound. Some players suggest the reverse, which also works. The tricky part is to solo the J-style pickup. That's when you need some amp EQ tinkering. You definitely need to turn the boost back up to like 10 - 11 o'clock position if the J is the be soloed. There will be pickup hum when J is soloed. If the set-up is optimal, the J soloed can provide you with a rich, upper-midrangy sound.

4. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Simple. Solid. Versatile. Way under-rated bass.