1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter Stiletto - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by girlonbass, Apr 27, 2010.

1. girlonbass

girlonbass

Apr 3, 2009
    Hello,

This is my first post here, so please excuse any faux-pas.

I am looking to buy a 6-string bass. I have had an Ibanez SR-506 in the past and was considering buying another. But also have been looking at the Schecter Stiletto Studio-6.

My current fave is a 92 Warwick Corvette 5-string, but my band mates are always telling me that my 75 Precision has a better sound than the Warwick.

Can anyone offer any opinions good or bad on the Schecter. How does it play next to the Ibanez? How does it sound next to a Precision or Warwick?

Any help, much appreciated.

thanks,
    Terri

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I had an Ibanez SR (4 string). I wanted a Warwick so badly at one time - I ended up getting a Schecter Stiletto 4 w/ natural top and brass hardware. Beautiful looking bass...

Haven't had much experience w/ 6 stringers, but I thought the Schecter Stiletto 4 was an extremely playable, great sounding bass. Much nicer than my Ibanez I used to own, but probably not as nice as a (good) 70's P ;)

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 and a C-5 Custom and love both of them, I have never played a six string Schecter but I would imagine that would play fine and sound pretty good, I do have an Ibanez SR706 that I love as well.... I'm sorry if I'm no help.... I would honestly try to find the six string Schecter and play it first then make your decision....

4. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    I have been playing Schecter basses for years. Love them! I have a Stiletto Elite 5 as my main bass ... Couldn't be happier with the playability or the sound.

5. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    Studio's are excellent, IMO sounding better than the Ibanez (and I have both). Haven't tried them vs Warwick.

6. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    i have a stiletto studio 6. when you compare it to an ibanez, you really feel the difference between them. schecter is so much more diverse than an ibanez... If you really want to compare it to something, you must compare it to warwicks and(up to 2000$ ).

there's only one big difference. warwicks have jazz PU's while schecter has EMG's. that hads a slight difference on the tone, but with a good amp-head, that difference wont be noticed.

when it comes to durability, the schecter is much better IMO, not to mention that it comes perfectly set up from the factory. i play the crap out of my shecter and it always stays in tune. it a very reliable bass. You wont find anything better without spending a few couple k's +. go for it. :bassist:

7. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Also a lot of people don't like the emg pick ups that Schecter uses but they've been using them for years and I think it gives a good warm tone if you figure out how to use the pre amp on the bass. That plus a little eq on the amp will make you sound just fine in the mix.

As for a 6 string Ibanez, just tried one. It was nice but the feel is definitely different from Schecter. It will probably be a little lighter than a schecter because of the thinner body but the neck felt kind of fragile in my hand. Not like on my Schecter.

8. Droot

Droot

Dec 29, 2006
    I had a studio 5 and it is the only "why did I sell it?" bass I have ever owned, nuff said.
    DRoot

9. Subrage

Subrage

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas City
    I have the studio 4, its a great bass like everyone else has said.

10. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    That Schecter is the same one I'm going for! =D The Warwick would be brilliant if a real Warwick. none of this RockBass bollocks. Schecter and Ibanez I think are both equally as good, but feel different. To me the Schecter feels better, though... And looks better!

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The Schecter just feels and sounds better made than the Ibanez. The neck is a bit chunkier, but then again, Ibanez is notorious for having the thinnest necks in existence, so there's no beating that regardless.

The Schecter also balances like the Ibanez in that it has some neck dive. The upper horn doesn't extend that far at all, so make sure you get a thick strap to go with it.

Also, EMG 45DC pickup upgrades make this bass awesome x 1034230487238745628342734324

The Schecter is my go-to bass.

And now for some Live Action Schecter Studio 6 Bass Pr0n (w/ top half of the rig-of-doom in a few shots).

rockon.

rockin-out.

l_8043b3657ddf46acaf862a6c54390c97.

l_ee1b3a08934449f1ba3b3ffa533482a1.

12. girlonbass

girlonbass

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone for their responses. And thanks to FunkMetalBass for the pix.

I agree about the comments on Ibanez neck. It is very flat and, for me, makes it very easy to play 6-string. The SR-506 was not setup well out of the box. It had great action but lots of buzzie spots. I understand the Schecters are shipped to the States and professionally setup before they are sold.

I would really love to try one before I buy it. I find you never know how good something sounds until you are playing (and competing) with a full band. It does look heavy when you see someone playing it. Unfortunately the only dealer in Vancouver does not stock them. You have to custom order them. Unless I go to Seattle and try to catch one there.

Anyway thanks for the comments and advice.

Terri

13. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Did you install the DC's yourself?

14. darryljr23

darryljr23

Mar 7, 2010
    I have an older Iby 406 but I have a Stiletto fretless five coming soon. I am stoked about the Schecter as you guys seem to be very pleased with yours.

15. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I replaced the factory installed EMG-HZ's in my Elite-5 with two new EMG 40P5's (Precision style mounted in a soap-bar casing) active pickups.

I'm also about to replace the factory installed EMG BTS preamp with a new Aguilar OBP-2 TK preamp. The combination of the new pickups and preamp will extend the tonal range of the bass. Especially in the bottom end.

I've been pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy my Schecter. It's not my main bass, but it certainly adds to my flexibility in the studio and at live gigs.

TD

40P5_3_A.

16. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    I did, but I had my tech touch up the wiring because the guy can make my ship-in-a-bottle wiring jobs look so neat and clean. I should post a pic of the inside of my Spector control cavity just to show y'all how well done it is.

17. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Nice. I would love ti change the pickups and the pre but I know I couldn't do it myself.

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    The stock preamp is actually pretty nice. I've considered changing over to the Aguilar OBP-3 just for consistency's sake, but I don't have any qualms to warrant the switch.

Unless you'd be switching out for the EMGs + an EMG preamp (it's all quick-connect - easy!), it can definitely get funky to navigate around there. I could also take a picture of my control cavity for reference if you're serious about switching.

19. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Maybe in the future, for now stock pick ups.

I woud love to have a BQC pre and CS and DC active pick ups in my schecter but I don't have the money....wait actually I might... at least for the pre amp I do. But I have no idea how to install one.

Just added up the total cost: $343

$105 CS
    $105 DC
    $133 EMG BQC pre

20. I like my Schecter Studio-6, but I'm putting it on the market because I just signed up with Spector.

I installed EMG DC pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp. I've had tons of compliments from soundguys in three different countries.