1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schecter users: What do you use

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dan B, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Ok, the GHS Bass Boomers on my bass finally crapped out and I'm going to replace them. I really liked the Boomers but I would like to change, so I ask you what do you use?

Also, here are the strings I have been thinking of getting:
    - DR Sunbeams
    - DR DDTs
    - Boomers (again)
    - D'addarios
    - Rotosounds

I would get DR Highbeams but the bass is incredibly bright as it is.

2. DR loriders- very versatile, good life, mildly expensive...

3. My 004 has had Ken Smith Metal Masters steel rounds (50/70/85/105) on for about a month now. I really like these...hard to describe accurately in words, but they're not as zingy as the D'a Pro Steels that they replaced yet still have an 'edge' to the tone that hasn't gone away after the initial break-in. I'm not sure who actually makes them or that it matters much, but I may have found the strings for this one. And FWIW, in spite of the name, I rarely if ever play metal.

My Stiletto Ex-4 has a set of previous-gen Fender 9050M steel flats (55/70/90/105...yeah, I like beefier strings) currently. Again, a nice kinda bright tone, especially for flats. However (and the reason I saw your thread), I literally just now got a set of the current-gen 9050M's in the mail...there's another thread here somewhere that discusses whether the new ones are actually re-branded Chromes. I'm here looking for that thread to see what others have said and to add that the set I have here appear to be at the very least a real good copy, right down to the color-coded ball ends.

- edit, a few moments later - found it

4. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    My Custom 4 came standard with Elixir Nanoweb strings. These are great strings and they last a long time!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have D'addario Chromes on my Custom-5. I've never heard of a Schecter with flats before, but DUDE! It sounds great!

I have other basses for the heavier music, but for the classic rock and such, the Schecter is great with the flats.

6. Umm...I refer you to the second paragraph of my earlier post, O Great Leader.

7. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, being where I am there isn't a great amount of selection.

Has anyone tried Sunbeams? I kinda want to experiment with them as I feel Lo-Riders might be a little too dark (I like having a boosted mid sound). What about Rotosounds?

Right until my Boomers crapped out (2 of the strings broke; otherwise they were fine) I was getting a nice tone similar to, dare I say it, a Spector. I might go with Boomers again but as I said earlier, I am open to experimenting.

8. Which Roto's? Almost everything I've heard/read about the 66's is that they feel rough/coarse right out of the package, sound freakin' awesome for about a week, and then settle into a warmish thump. Chris Squier has said that he'll change strings every day when recording in the studio, and he uses 66's.

9. When I had my Omen-4, I used GHS. I liked them very well.

10. Ive used DR high beams on both my shecters but also want to try the sunbeams eventually. The high beams were a bit harsh at first but break in very nicely and have lasted me a long time on both basses.

11. I use D'addario XL's on my 004 :)

12. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    66's. From what you say, they are like Ernie Ball strings in that sense. That said, after hearing the sound sample of the Rotosound 99s (on Rotosound's site), I have to say, they sound awesome ALTHOUGH installation looks to be a pain.

How about black coated strings?

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Currently I have Ernie Ball Coated Slinkies on my Schecter Studio5 with custom Kent Armstrong humbuckers and Aguilar OBP-3.

Seems to be a very good combination in my opinion.

14. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    That's what I get for not reading post. :bag:

15. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Well, the local store had some DR Black Beauties, so I got those.

Wow. My bass actually sounds like a Spector ReBop now. I am not kidding. I played a ReBop with Black Beauties and I have to say, my C-4 sounds exactly like it. I know this will piss off a lot of Spector fans (and with good reason), but honestly, the GAS I had for a Spector is now gone.

16. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    ...and today my A string broke. I am upset because I paid a lot for these strings and honestly, I feel as if I was robbed.

Has anyone else experienced this with Black Beauties? I heard great things about them, and when they worked, they were great strings. However, this happening is quite shocking to say the least.

17. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    That is shocking, I have some one my Elite 5 right now, They are great. Haven't had any prolems with them...but then again I've had them on for about a week now so maybe it isn't considered long enough.

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Right now I have a set D'Addario XLs on my Elite 5, but I'm still serching for the perfect string for this bass.

19. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I sent a letter to DR using their comment form. Hopefully they will respond tomorrow if not later this week.

I am upset because I paid $40.00 for these strings, and while $40.00 is not a lot for some people here, it is a lot for me, and I feel really upset. If this is a regular occurrence with DR Strings (especially Black Beauties) I guess I won't buy from them again. Which is a shame considering how highly regarded they are!

20. First off and @ Dan...contact DR directly - there's at least one other thread here somewhere that talks about broken string fresh out of the package, and being replaced by the mfgr. Save the string (actually, save all the strings) and your purchase receipt, just in case.

And updating my earlier post - I replaced my Stiletto's prev-gen Fender Flats with the new-gen Fender Flats (the maybe-Chromes) and I'm really happy so far!