Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder Cabinets ... smart design = very compact ! (regular and lights)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SMASH, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    I couldn't find a single post about these cabs here at TB. Anyone tried 'em? I found a link on Brian Barrett's "The Low End" site.

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/

A 2x12 under 50 lbs and the dimensions are only 23W X 16H X 16D. That's just slightly larger than the wee Aguilar GS112 (one twelve) and only slightly heavier. WOW. :hyper: Supposedly 1000 watts RMS. $600 includes shipping within the US and a "10 year limited warranty" to the original owner.

I had to re-read the specs many times to ensure I wasn't hallucinating. The trick seems to be a side-firing speaker along with the front firing. That's damn smart. Bass is omnidirectional and I can't tell much difference (if any, in a mix) no matter which direction I turn my cabs. The little Mesa Scout combo uses this idea too, with one speaker firing into the floor.

New wave in cabs design? How do these sound? Any of the speaker/cab gurus forsee any issues with speakers in a cab firing in different directions vis-a-vis performance/tone?

They'll be at Summer NAMM. If anyone is going, maybe report back on these?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :cool:

I got mine yesterday OMFG!!!

I've got a 1210... it's like taking a 4x10 + 1x18 and shinking it down to a 50lbs box :hyper: :hyper:

I've personally only used my Sunn Sceptre (100 watt tube amp) with it so far... but damn is it loud, clear and punchy. Definately NOT power hungry!!! I'm going to fire it up with 200 watts of Ashdown tonight and at rehearsal tomorrow.

I spent the night jamming and actually fell asleep playing :eek: I couldn't stop! it sounded and felt soooo good.

I'll be reviewing them for sure in the near future.

I cannot wait to hear it with my enroute with Fedex Yamaha PB-1 and a poweramp (looking to grab a Crest CA4 ASAP).

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    very interested in this as well...mmmbump

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    SMASH, you know he is a TBer right?

5. Let me first start by saying Jorg Schroeder is a straight up guy and very passionate about sound AND bass. So through correspondence about bass related topics, he asked me to give his cabinets a go.
    I'll also preface this review by saying, I didn't try them with a band...these were in my living room (probably much to my neighbor's shagrin). I received 2 cabinets, a front firing 12 w/ a folded 10 and a 2-10 w/ a folded 12 (my favorite). First, the boxes are fairly small for the components loaded in them and not overly weighty. After plugging in (either 1/4" or Speakon) and dialing in...you realize that the tone you're hearing when you're about 5' away is the same if you're 12' and off to the side of the cabinet. The sound seems to follow you. It's emphasis is in the lower mid range - with a lot of punch...they're very responsive and don't take gobs of power to get quite loud. I wouldn't say they are studio monitors on steroids...no, these are for medium to larger venues where higher sound pressure/higher wattage is required...and if your bandmates really want to get an earfull of you. They start to open up as the juice is fed to them. It was interesting to hear the difference in the two cabs as well...I'll be interested to hear what the 4-10 sounds like and the 2-10! He's got a couple more configurations that he's mulling over and I'm sure they'll be worth giving a listen to. And for a hyper watt, well made cabinet...at the price he's asking; again...it's worth a listen!

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Wow. I'm very interested in the 1210. It's up there with a LDS 3x8 for my next possible cabinet purchase.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Well, everything so far said is correct. Everyone through the shop has had to pick their jaw up off the ground that has played through the Schroeder’s. The 1210 combo will easily kick a lot of 410’s on the market! The 410 is just beyond anything you could compare to it in its size and really even bigger....... it will kick most 610 & 810’s. Jorg has really got something going and has spared no expense in his design and parts into his cab’s. He probably has more cost in any one cab then most.

Schroeder’s have a place in the cabinet industry for sure. He didn’t copy another design and try to make a buck, but instead tried to push the envelope a little further!

8. Yeah, these look very interesting to me. A couple of 1210s might be nice. I'd really like to try these things out. Slim chance of that though.

Geoff

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks SMASH! I will definately hit TB with a Full-on review...

Here is a snippit of the email I sent Jorg this morning...

10. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Speddling: What was your rig before you bougt these?

Also, what kind of band do you play in and what gear do they use???

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    currently I'm getting by with a pair of Ashdown 1x12 combos... I'm just starting to gig again after a bit of a vacation.

I replaced a bi-amped EV loaded 4x12 + Yamaha 1x18 PA sub for a Bagend S12 sitting on a Bagend S15 pushed with an AMP head around 1990 and spent a bit of time making a living (barely) in NYC/NJ/PA with them. I hung it up and sold everything a few years back.

Besides the Ashdowns I've got a Sunn Sceptre that I think I'm trading in against a Traynor YBA200 for when I want that warm glow.

12. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'll have mine soon,oh yes. -Luke

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

New wave? Maybe, maybe not:)

Tech Soundsystems, a German company, used to make cabs similar to this with front firing and side firing drivers. Not sure if they still do. Gary Grainger used to use them. Their 2-12 cab looked like a 1-12 from the front. Nice cabs.

Haven't heard the Schroeders yet. I'll be at Summer NAMM.

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The concept has been around for a long time. There's a few different ways to make a side firing cab (Folded horn, Mainfold, or simple bandpass, maybe even transmission line). Indeed most home Hi-Fi Subs built nowdays are side firing. They all try to achieve the same thing, namely more bottom end, generally with a slight increase in efficiency in a certain frequency range.

The downside is a loss of clarity in the mids and highs, but there are ways to fix that, usually with the adition of forward facing drivers. Mixing the 2 is a good idea. It would be nice if there were more detailed specs on the website though.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    His official website should be up soon and it has all type of details from speaker specs to cab design, etc.

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Sorry, my last post was wrong. I just noticed the new site is up and running. If you go to the cabinet page under the size and type of box's it has details for small box and large box. Click on that and you get all the specs for each can. Also is a spec layout for the drivers as well.

17. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I spent 2 hours this morning trying to pick my jaw up from the floor. I've tried many of the great cabinets from many of the respected manufactures(Glock,Tech,Epifani,Bergantino,etc.) and found these to be the clearest of them all. I was very impressed by the volume and puch the speakers give with exceptionaly tight low end. They project with great athority even at far distances. They are also very efficient. It's not neccessary to own a mega-watt amp to power these cabs. As expected each bass brought it's own sound through these cabinets. Pretty much the same thing everyone else has already said.

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yo brian can i set up a time to come by and hear these?

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

wait till next Sat and you should hear mine from here :smug:

I've got a killer Yamaha pre and Crown CE1000 due to land before next weekend :hyper:

just in time for my outside gig on the 3rd!

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Jon

Hey man, your welcome to, the problem is the 410 is getting picked up at 12 today and I'm down to one 1210 and a 21012. I should have more cab's in a week, but your welcome to stop by and check out whats here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.