Scroll carving

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by iankenselaar, Oct 12, 2021.

1. iankenselaar

iankenselaar

Jul 2, 2009
    I have a beautiful Anton Schroetter 7/8 size bass that is in need of a new neck and I am toying with the idea of commissioning a scroll carving as well.

The neck was crushed in an accident involving an escalator :(

Can anyone recommend a luthier or woodworker who specializes in ornate scroll designs? (ie lion head, gargoyle, etc)

I’m based in NJ but would be happy to work remotely with someone who is experienced w this job. Thanks!

2. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I've seen a Jed Kriegel bass and an Ed Maday bass that both had carved animal scrolls. I'm not sure if they got someone else to do the carving, but you could check in with either and find out...

iankenselaar likes this.
  3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Paging @Ed Fuqua
    He has a Kriegel bass with a carved animal scroll.

4. ctrlzjones

ctrlzjones

Jul 11, 2013
    Barcelona
    The dangers of transportation. In my mind I always “see” the catastrophe when going up in a subway station using the mechanical stairs with those low ceilings. Sometimes there are elavators too, hanging around, waiting for prey…

robobass and iankenselaar like this.
  5. nogbert

nogbert

Jul 18, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Ed Maday definitely does ornate scrolls, and is located in long island. Dunno if he'd do a standalone neck though

iankenselaar likes this.
  6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    jeff bollbach in long island did a beautiful lion's head scroll, but i'm not sure if he would ever do it again.

upload_2021-10-13_10-47-8.png

iankenselaar and BassinCT like this.
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sten Havumaki (from Oak&Laurel Workshop) did the scroll carving for Jed...
    fullsizeoutput_7c.jpeg

iankenselaar, bassmanbrent and Joshua like this.
  8. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I don't know who would carve it, but consider commissioning a Blue Jay head on your scroll. I've never seen that, and it would be dope.

9. iankenselaar

iankenselaar

Jul 2, 2009
    Birds are too endearing— I’m thinking full on gargoyle

10. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Do you realize that a new neck with a custom carved scroll, then add the fingerboard, install, finish, and setup will likely be greater than the cost of your current bass? You could buy a nice car for the price of the basses shown so far.

11. iankenselaar

iankenselaar

Jul 2, 2009
    The bass was worth about 12k prior to the accident. I certainly haven’t committed to the idea of the custom scroll but would like to invest in preserving a beautiful, mammoth-sounding instrument if it seems viable.

12. What's the status of the current scroll after the accident? If it's intact, grafting the original scroll onto a new neck will retain the 12k value versus mortgaging your house to have a custom carving job. If you've got the scratch for it, there are enough custom carved scroll basses out there.

13. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    You have insurance? Instrument insurance will always cover a neck break

14. iankenselaar

iankenselaar

Jul 2, 2009
    sadly no insurance

15. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    Damn!

16. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    The elevators in the NYC Subway are only usable if you have brought along a supplied air respirator. Otherwise you will asphyxiate from the ammonia fumes before reaching the next door opening option.

F261272~p.eps-650.jpg

Phil Rowan and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  17. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Here is one I carved a few years ago, for a large viola. Not many people actually want a lionhead scroll.
    upload_2021-10-20_10-48-54.jpeg

18. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Auuugh! How I envy you guys. Not only the skills to make the instrument itself, but then to carve a special headpiece to top it off. Real Grinling Gibbons stuff.

19. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm been shopping for a Hello Kitty scroll for years. If anyone has a lead, let me know.

:)

20. Rama Temmink

Rama Temmink

Nov 30, 2015
    Careful with what you wish for...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021