1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SD Antiquity jazz bass setup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by norralylth, Jun 20, 2014.

1. norralylth

norralylth

Jun 18, 2014
    I am not changing my current jazz bass pickups right now, but i might modify a jazz bass in the future. So i started to ask questions again, in order to have an idea.

Today the guitar tech and he told me that people are more happy with the "Option 2" below. He claims people get better variety of tones and those two pickups work together well. Most of his customers who purchased antiquity pickups, dont fit antiquity 2 pickups at both neck and bridge.

Option 1:
    neck: antiquity 2
    bridge: antiquity 2

Option 2:
    neck: antiquity
    bridge: antiquiy 2

I wonder if Option 2 is really that good and the guitar tech is right? Any advices?

By the way he also told me that with "option 2" set up, along with the vintage tones (such as Jaco Pastorius like tones) i will get a btter tone in order to play funk and groove.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Probably so since the Antiquity would tame the Neck pickup and the Antiquity II would make the Bridge slightly hotter and fatter sounding I would think

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    personally i think its ridiculous. considering the winding variance in the antiquity line, you could be hearing a difference in alnico 2 vs alnico 5 or the fact that there's more/less wire on one of the pickups.

petrus61 likes this.
  4. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I have heard others comment on option 2 being a better balance.
    But you won't know until you get the pup and try them.
    Winding variance also a potential concern.
    Although I like the Ant better than Ant 2.
    More balanced tone. IMO.

5. FWIW, the Jaco tone comes from soloing the bridge pickup, which is the same in both of the options you listed.

6. I thought the biggest diff between the 2 was the appearance aging and raised pole pieces?

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    Ant 1's are alnico 2 and ant 2's are alnico 5. I've had antiquities at almost 9k and some barely over 7k. They sounded very different. With that kind of variance, generalizing is impossible.